160Gb HDD Clearance - Staples - $9.50 - no rebates

Nomad

2[H]4U
I just went to Staples and picked up their stock number: 504516 for $9.50.

Story - I have a friend that works at the one closest to me who was in their cage and recognized this 160Gb Maxtor drive as being one on their clearance lists. Staples has a policy to put HDDs in their cage when they go on clearance because they will get taken if they leave them out. My friend punched the stock number in and the system said that the price was $29.50. For 30 bucks he said no problem. Got it to the front counter and it rang up with a $20 instant rebate.

The drive is a Maxtor 160Gb 7200 8Mb Cache drive - retail box.

The main reason that I am posting is that there was the one at his store (Bothell, WA.) and in their system he showed me that there was one in Bellevue, WA (10 minute drive). I drove down to that store and picked up the other drive here. You might want to check with your local store to see if they have any in stock - but be careful about calling them first. The person on the phone will most likely take the deal if you bring it to their attention.

Same here, I'll check it out after work. I'm in for two if this is correct. I checked on staples.com and its $109 so I'm wondering why the huge price descrepency.

hrm.. I'll have to go check it out. But I had 2 of those same exact drives and both crapped out. But for 9 more dollars, I won't be afraid to buy another LOL. The first one I paid like 49 bux for, then got the second for like 29 bux.

yea, same here.. the hdd is priced at $109.

Is there a different way to approach them?
Do we call them or order online? Or just head down to the store and buy it?

help us!!

dang, with this deal (if it works) makes me wish I had not picked up the 160gb WD for 20 dollars (w/ rebates) at BB the other week. Well, i may just head down there and grab a few, never no when i will need 2 of them to set up a raid config on a new computer or something :D. Hopefully this is a multi store deal, not just the Staples by you.

Sounds verrrry hot. After class I'm hitting this up. I'll post here later with results.

wow.

i know this is probably for real too because i just bought a nice glass desk at staples for 20 bucks when online it said the price was 80.

this has such potential i am heading down there right now and i havent even showered yet.

dang, called my local staples store and asked if they had it in stock and guess what..... not in stock :( No deal for me.

I just went to the local Staples, and asked about the 160 gig Maxtor. They told me that they had a 200gig Maxtor on sale for $79. I explained to them that's not what I wanted, and they told me they don't carry a 160gig one. I had them check clearance, and there wasn't any there. Then I had them run the product id number, and they told me that it went on clearnace months ago and they no longer stock the item. I thought about trying another Staples, but it's a bit further of a drive and I decided against it.

It was worth a shot, $10 would be damn nice.

HiJon89 said:
Grrr I called 3 Staples stores and they all said no :mad:

You did not read the OP's thread carefully. Don;t call them go over there and find out by your self. There is no way they are going to say yes over the Phone.

sounds like Nomad just got lucky and got a harddrive that had been on clearance for a few months and that is why it was so cheap. Since it had been on clearance for such a long time, no wonder none of us can find it in the stores.

annaconda said:
You did not read the OP's thread carefully. Don;t call them go over there and find out by your self. There is no way they are going to say yes over the Phone.
I don't think they would lie to me, I think when I called the guy just looked in the hard drive section which means they just don't have any out on the floor. So either they don't have any at all or they're hidden in the back in which case there's no way to get to them unless you're friends with a person who works there.

The main reason that I posted this is because I found one down the street after my friend bought one here.

They are on clearance - so you can buy as many as they have in stock.

I already called 1800 Staples (or whatever it was) and asked them to ship me 20. She told me that the price would be 109 per and that they did not have any in stock. Also - that the only way to get one of these was to find one on clearance at a local store.

Good luck finding them.

BTW: in the system on Friday it said that there was a drive "available for transfer" (which means that they have one in stock) in Riverside CA. If anyone is close to there - give it a shot.

The lone 160GB they had in my store was out the door before I got there. Didn't get a price on it, but it had been in the clearance rack for some time and not with the drive displays.

Apparently the 160GB is something all of the stores are trying to clear from their inventories. The current floor displays are for the 120GB, 200GB, and 300GB drives.

200GB for $79.60 isn't too bad of a deal either though. About $10 cheaper than getting it (shipped) through the 'egg. It just isn't anything compared to getting 160GB for $9.50...

DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My local Staples sold their last one last week. Had the guy check the sku, and he said it would have rung up at that $29.00 price. Didn't bother to ask about the instant 20 off since it didn't matter at that point.

IF YOU LIVE IN SAN DIEGO, don't bother. He checked on the computer for me and said I wouldn't find one in all of San Diego.

A week too late for me. :(

Thanks OP :D I never seem to get in on these final clearances, but:

111135342060943690436.jpg

Last one in the tulsa area!

Now I just need to decide what to do with it. I can double it up with the other 160gb maxtor in my HTPC for some sweet sweet recording time, or I can throw it in my main (although I don't really need to).

Great job.

If anyone else finds one - let us know.

And - it looks like it is 30 bucks in the inventory system - but if you punch it into their cash register it takes off the 20.

I checked staples around Detroit Michigan and none of them had it :( Thats an awesome deal though, I wish I was able to get one.

The reason you cannot find hardly any is because this deal is over two weeks old. I saw it on FW like week before last, and every staples within 50 miles was already out.

Currently I was attempting to get my local Staples to PM the CompUSA 300GB Maxtor SATA for $149, but they dont seem to carry them in the stores, only online. Online they are like $299, which means a huge 110% dicsount thingy. However, the CRS chick was going to charge me $165+$18S&H+tax, I was like FU I would rather drive to CompUSA for $149 you dumbass. I looked at my wife while I was on the phone, and laughed.

So if any of you can find a local staples that stocks a 300GB SATA Maxtor, have them Price match it to CompUSA at $149.99.

damn. went there and one of the salespeople wanted one too but they didnt have anymore. i gave him my name and number cuz he said he was gonna try to get some to transfer.

btw, none at riverside location.

I have some instock at my local staples should I give it a try?

isn't it locked up? I don't want to be ghey ring it up and not buy it

intogamer said:

Dude buy them out. Get every single one that they have in stock as long they're $9.50 apiece. Then you can keep them or sell them to me :D Where are you BTW? EDIT: NVM, I see Boston

intogamer said:

Keep one, Ebay the rest.

pfah.. I was all excited.. turns out Staples doesn't even exist anywhere in Minnesota :mad:

I called mine, and the guy said "yes we have some" then when i asked him to give me the price and how many they had. " he came back with well no we dont they just sold"

LOL well anyways.......

Firebomb said:
I called mine, and the guy said "yes we have some" then when i asked him to give me the price and how many they had. " he came back with well no we dont they just sold"

LOL well anyways.......

He kept them ;)

Nomad said:
BTW: in the system on Friday it said that there was a drive "available for transfer" (which means that they have one in stock) in Riverside CA. If anyone is close to there - give it a shot.

lol i live in Riverside, i know that one. But not sure about this whole thing.

Firebomb said:
he came back with "well no we dont they just sold"

^ THAT ^ IS WHY YOU DON'T CALL.

Yeah... he just sold them.... to himself.

ROFL. :D

I just got back from my Staples in Taylor, Michigan. They were all out, but they said if someone provides a good quality scan, they will match the price for me by ordering one online. SOMEONE SCAN THEIR FULL RECEIPT or take a FULL PICTURE. please. :p

Back