1600x1200 LCD for graphics/programming

hypnos

n00b
I'm looking for a good LCD to use for work. Mostly doing programming, but also website designs. No gaming. No movies. (No TNs).

Right now I'm looking at the PLANAR PL2010M (MVA) on newegg and maybe playing the lottery for the Dell 2007FP. But is there anything else under or around $400 that would work?

HP 2065. There's been a panel lottery - you can find the thread - but the IPS version may be just what you want. They show up occasionally on eBay.

This thread is quite relevant.

The Samsung 214T is a reasonable alternative for programming; in addition to 1600x1200 it has a swivel for 90 degree portrait mode and is currently in the $500 range. However, ebay does have them new for less (~450). Good color reproduction for web design and graphics.

Since this thread is useless

Ron Paul 2008

"WarHero" - Why is this thread useless? Because you deem it so? The OP has a legitimate question.And since you are "THE AUTHORITY" on LCD's, why do'nt you impart some of that "wisdom and knowledge" and give the OP some GOOD advice!

My advice is to go 1920x1200... the extra desktop space is soooooooooo awesome. After I switched to widescreen, I wouldn't ever go back to 4:3 for anything.. I just wish I could afford to go 2680x1600 now. :D

Widescreen isn't just for games and movies!

For what it's worth, I run a boutique systems consulting business and we clearly see "more pixels"= "more productivity".

Over the last few years we moved from a 21 inch CRT as standard to dual 20 inch LCDs, to mostly multiple 30 inch LCDs. Time to produce a deliverable has improved with each upgrade.

If you are cash constrained you could consider an upgrade path of one 20 inch now and then add another 20 inch later. If that seems unreasonable the 24 inch wide screen would be a good choice. Most commercial IDE tools are a good fit for a widescreen.

We buy Dell and HP but the Samsung panels I have seen recently look good to me.

Back