1600x1200 and 1680x1050 = Same Performance

Sydek

Weaksauce
I was thinking about going to a widescreen LCD display (probably the Gateway FPD2185W) and I was wondering if I would be seeing the same performance in games in 1680x1050 (the Gateway's native resolution) and 1600x1200 (the resolution I normally use w/ my CRT).

I have a 7800 GT, 1 GB of memory, Athlon64 3200+ (939).

Also, do LCD users traditionally enable Vsync? Because I believe this will lower FPS as well right?

I think there would be a performance penalty with the lower widescreen res because in true widescreen (Non-cropped) there is more being drawn on screen at any given time than in 4:3.

More polys on screen vs slightly higher res. I think the polys would do more damage.

I leave V-Sync off because I prefer to live with some screen tearing than have my fps limited to exactly 30fps or 60fps. The difference between 59.9fps and 30fps is drastic to me.

yeah what he said^^, i enable vsync for all games because tearing is unbearable IMO

Is there a way to enable vsync through the nvidia drivers/control panel? or can I only enable it in games that have it as an option?

Topey said:
Is there a way to enable vsync through the nvidia drivers/control panel? or can I only enable it in games that have it as an option?

You should be able to through the nvidia control panel. Just turn it from Application controled to on or whatever setting you prefer.

Back