• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

16:9 Resolutions confuse me =(

turkeyspit

n00b
Joined
Apr 7, 2010
Messages
2
I recently said farewell to my 19" CRT, which has been my steady gaming companion for many moons now. I took this opportunity to upgrade (at long last) to a Widescreen monitor, and picked up a BenQ G2410HD 23.5" LCD.

My only problem is, I don't understand the Resolutions =(

From CRT, I lived through the days of 640x480, to 800x600 and spent many solar revolutions playing at 1024x768. I was never one to push the envelope with 1600x1200, although I did run my 19" at it's native res of 1024x1028.

But now I'm faced with having to select new screen resolutions for some of my older games, and none of them make any sense to me.

The native res of my new LCD is 1920x1080. In Borderlands for example, if I try to run it at that resolution, I get fairly low FPS (in the low 30s not moving), but I have no idea where to downgrade it too. What is the 'next resolution' down?

My hardware is fairly old (Athlon Dual Core, x1900 Radeon, 32bit Win XP) so im worried about setting the resolutions too high for my current games (a la Borderlands example above) and getting shoddy performance.

Could anyone explain or link me to a Dummies guide to 16:9 Widescreen Resolutions? :(
 
One way to go is to realize that "16:9" refers to the ratio of the horizontal pixel width to the vertical. 16/9 = 1.78. 1920/1080 is also 1.78. So in Borderlands, to find the next resolution down, select the one that is closest to 1.78 when you divide the horizontal pixels by the vertical pixels.

One of the more common ones is 1280x720, also called 720p in HDTV lingo.
 
Personally I would turn down the game settings before dropping a resolution notch. With CRTs you could drop the resolution no biggie. LCDs, on the other hand, always have a fixed number of pixels. Thus, when the game runs at anything other than native the image is scaled to fit the display - which I think looks *horrible*. I'd take native + lower settings over lower resolution + higher settings any day.

Or you could upgrade your rig ;)
 
19" CRT's were best in 1280x960 or 1400x1050. 1280x1024 would squeeze the picture a bit.
 
Back
Top