16.7 vs 16.2 choices, help

Hello everybody,

Since search has been disabled I'm going to post this message. I just picked up a Samsung 226bw and while I am impressed there still seems to be dithering. Am I to understand this is a 6bit panel that attempts to be 8bit? Anyways, what's a good true 8bit panel for around this price? I'm trying to decide whether or not to keep this monitor as I do a lot of photoshop work and thus far have been disappointed in the dithering. THANKS!

i don't know the american pricing for LCDs

you are going to have to go with either a 22inch or 24 inch if u want true 8bit colour. afaik, tthere are no 22ich panels that offer true 8bit colour.

In that price range I would go for the Dell 2007WFP or HP LP2065 both of which are S-IPS (well the Dell is a panel lottery).

Ok, so I'm pretty sure I want an 8bit display after doing a few hours of photo work. Since most (all?) 22" are TN panels I think I'd rather go BIGGER than smaller. Any ideas on the best price/quality display out there for a 24"? Westinghouse has a 24" for $509 on newegg which seems good. I'm just trying to decide, maybe I should go with a smaller monitor for now and upgrade later when 24" is ~$400. Arghhh.

From what I have read all the 22" monitors are using TN 6-bit display.

Maximum PC reviewed the 20" Samsung 206BW a few months ago and gave it a 9 out of 10 "Kick Ass" rating, so I was thinking about buying the 22" Samsung 226BW figuring it had a similar screen and image quality. I am glad I didn't, since in the current issue of Maximum they reviewed the 22" Samsung 226BW and determined that it had a TN 6-bit screen. They gave the 226BW a 7 out of 10.

So, it sounds like all the 22" displays have TN panels. I have not researched the 24" or 20" and below panels that much, but it sounds like a decent amount of them have 8-bit panels.

Have you looked at the HP w2207 Widescreen LCD Monitor? Maximum PC gave it an 8 out of 10, but I think it might deserve an even higher rating. It also has a TN panel, but I just picked up one and with the glossy screen it really brings out the colors and detail in photos and images.

I suggest capturing screenshots of your favorite websites using "ALT+Print Screen" and putting them on a USB flash drive along with some photos and go to the store armed with it. Asked one of the employees if you can insert the USB drive into the computers they have the monitors hooked up to so you can see how real images and website will look. I got this idea from someone on these forums or one of the other websites I was looking at and it helped a lot with my decision making. I went to MicroCenter and they let me put the USB drive in the different computers and look at the images. After I did that I was sold on the HP w2207. Even another customer that was walking by while I was looking at the images said the HP w2207 looked amazing and he wanted one.

Some of the images I took with me were from the Cars website ( http://www.carsthemovie.com ) under the "Models" and "More Cars" section.

Here are a few examples:

daleB_large.jpg

racer1_large.jpg

mario_large.jpg

nitroade_large.jpg

rpm_large.jpg

These images look amazing on the HP w2207 and I don't notice any dithering in an of the images. Plus, the glossy screen on the HP w2207 makes these cars even more shiny than they are already.

Let us know what the above images look like on your Samsung and if you see any dithering and if you do then I would suggest looking at the HP w2207 or some other monitor.

cnc137.

I bought my wife the HP w2207. Its a nice looking monitor, has a great stand and is a good 6 bit TN panel but it would not make me happy for Photoshop work. The viewing angles are just to narrow. You literally cannot move your head at all up and down without seeing color shifts. Also the blacks and grays are really crushed.

If it were my money I would either get the Dell 2007WFP. Nothing else in the sub $400 range is worth it for PS work or I would save a few coins and get the Dell 2407. Dell has regular sales of that unit for right around $600 or below.

You could probably get some idea of what the difference would be checking out the LG L246WP at your local Best Buy and compare it to the other 6 bit 22" on display.

Back