158.19 No fan control?

[F8]

Gawd
Am I the only one who cannot change fan speeds with these drivers? I am referring to Windows XP, not Vista

same issue, I ended up using rivatuner

Another vote for Rivatuner - I leave my fan at 80% all the time. It only makes a quiet 'shushing' sound and keeps me at 53c idle & never seen it break 70c under load :)

I don't really understand the need to fiddle with fan control. What's the point? Why can't it just be left at auto?

I don't really understand the need to fiddle with fan control. What's the point? Why can't it just be left at auto?

You can save on your power bill by increasing the fan speed (at the expense of slightly more noise).

(a cooler video card draws significantly less power)

Not to mention wear and tear on your power supply and other heat-sensitive components in your case. (not too worried about my 8800 since it has a lifetime warranty)

You can save on your power bill by increasing the fan speed (at the expense of slightly more noise).

Not to mention wear and tear on your power supply and other heat-sensitive components in your case. (not too worried about my 8800 since it has a lifetime warranty)

Running cooler does not save on power usage. You're still using the same amount of power.

To keep everything cool :) Heat is the enemy!!

On Auto I idle at 65c & load over 80c. At 80% duty cycle on the fan I idle at 53c & load never goes over 70c. Fan noise is negligible

If anything, the system will use more power to keep that fan spinning at higher speeds constantly. Not much more, but more...not less.

I read thread after thread about people complaining that this or that doesn't work. Have they read the release notes? http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/158.18/158.18_ForceWare_Release_Notes.pdf

After I read them I can see how some issued simply arnt important as others. Triage and resource management is key to development. How many of you have worked in a production shop and know that you simply cannot fix everything and get each tested for all major and minor components or product line and have any hope of quality.

One of the rules of scheduling. You only get to pick two of three.

Cheap
Fast
Good

If anything, the system will use more power to keep that fan spinning at higher speeds constantly. Not much more, but more...not less.

The power draw for a cooling fan is trivial - mAH levels.

Resistivity increases as the temperature increases:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_resistivity

Ohm's Law: V = I*R
solve for power:

Power = I^2 * R

Therefore at higher temperatures, power requirements will be higher.

Here's an article that discusses the increasing power requirements of Pentium/Athlon CPUs at higher temperatures. We're looking at a 10% increase in this scenario. So a for a 250 watt GPU we could be looking at (back-of-the-envelope-calculation) up to 25,000 mAh increased power consumption for a poorly cooled video card. (compare that with a 100mAh fan)

I'm actually a little surprise that this hadn't been discussed more. (I'm assuming it hasn't since so many people disagreed?)

Ill make it short! HEAT=AMPS----------MORE HEAT=MORE AMP DRAW to push same amount of volts or Mah in this case.....If you put a dvom on your 12v lead at vid card it pulls more jiuce when hot !

Ill make it short! HEAT=AMPS----------MORE HEAT=MORE AMP DRAW to push same amount of volts or Mah in this case.....If you put a dvom on your 12v lead at vid card it pulls more jiuce when hot !

lol, I prefer my mathematical proof :p

Back