$1500 to spend, tell me what to get

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacobC1983

2[H]4U
I am really torn here.

I have $1500 to spend on video cards and can NOT decide.

Currently gaming on 3 Dell 30 inchers at 7560x1600 resolution.

I was leaning towards one Titan with the possibility of adding a second in a couple months. Then I read about the possibility of the 5GB GTX 780 and now I am leaning towards 2 in SLI. I don't think a 3GB card is "in the cards" if the GTX 780 only comes in that flavor.

Then I figured I could save some money and get two 4GB GTX 680s. I just don't know. What would you do?

Currently have a 2GB GTX 680 that I was planning on selling.
Spend my money [H]!

Let me prequel this - I would rather have the best bang for the buck - I am fine turning some settings down to maintain 60 FPS instead of maxing Crysis 3 using 4 Titans.. if that makes any sense trying to power 3 Dell 30 inchers.

Pictures because I am proud of my fun room. Thanks!

Last edited:
I hate you :p

Personally if it were me I would wait till I found out what the 7xx offerings will bring and go from there. At worst it costs you two weeks of time, at best you find yourself with a better card.

Well, I think it is fair to say we already know what the gtx 780 and 770 are bringing to the table. The only question is their price points.

First off, great setup. I tried the triple monitor route a few years ago...really could not get into it. But given the aspect ratio: the more VRAM the better. I have one dell 30 inch and I always crank everything up graphic wise. I had 2/680's before I purchased my Titans, so that allowed me to purchase the titans.

The 780's are going to basically be a "Titan Lite" so hopefully the price point will be a bit more palatible for some folks. Purchase a 780 when it comes out, sell your 680 on [H] or Craigslist (i sold my 680's for $350 each) and grab a second card. Playing across three monitors with all the new games coming up... It will chew away at the VRAM.

Good luck on your purchase.

Would you go for 780s only if they have 5GB VRAM per card? So suffice it to say, if they only have 3GB per card would you prefer a single Titan?

The thing its they could be 4GB too... Not only 5GB or 3GB. Actually 2 680 crush a single TITAN. The next 780 will maintain the same line with a even more advantage i would wait to make a GTX 780 4GB SLI. A personal stimated price of 600-650$ for each will be a 1200$-1300$ under your max budget and still saving something selling your cards... Its my opinion.. Its not like they wait will be so long...

Are you factoring the money from your 680 in the $1500? If not, get two 780's, and maybe a third in a month or two when you have the cash.

Basically, yes, it's going towards the new cards. Or back into savings, or however you want to look at it.

Sounds like gtx 780 SLI is the way to go, I kept reading about micro stuttering and fluidity of gameplay which was pushing me towards a single Titan, and I thought the extra VRAM of the Titan would be beneficial. But dropping $2k+ seems ridiculous even if my setup is already ridiculous anyways.

Sounds like gtx 780 SLI is the way to go, I kept reading about micro stuttering and fluidity of gameplay which was pushing me towards a single Titan, and I thought the extra VRAM of the Titan would be beneficial. But dropping $2k+ seems ridiculous even if my setup is already ridiculous anyways.

Good choice. They should launch by the end of this month, if the rumors are true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back