~$1500 gaming build

Yelnats

Limp Gawd
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Mostly gaming, web browsing and some Photoshop and other graphics programs. I like the CUDA capabilities of the NVIDIA cards.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$1500, very flexible, but I'd like good bang for my buck.
3) Where do you live?
Oregon... no sales tax, no good physical stores nearby
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Case, Power Supply, Motherboard, CPU, GPU, RAM, Hard Drive(s), Optical drive (DVD RW is good enough), Fans and heatsinks
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Monitors.
6) Will you be overclocking?
Maybe, I haven't overclocked much before.
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
30" Dell 3007 + 20" NEC + 17" Wacom + 1080P TV. I don't need to run things simultaniously across all diplays, but I'd like to keep them all plugged in. Most of my gaming will be done on the 30" Dell, maybe some on the TV.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within the next month.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
SLI
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
Going to buy windows 7 OEM for $85 from Newegg

These are the parts I was thinking about:
$210 X 2 - ASUS GTX460 1 GB Overclocking Edition

Random aside: One of the bullet points for the video card is "DirectCU Thermal Solution for up to 20% cooler than generic GeForce GTX460 TOP". What does that even mean? Does it run at -15 degrees Celsius? :rolleyes:

Edit: This looks like a pretty good build. Has anything changed much over the last two weeks?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That build you've linked to looks good. If the Amazon deal goes bust, find a brand/model for the GTX 460 that would allow you to take advantage of a few combo deals. (I take it that you're going for everything on that build list, save for the monitors and video cards?)

(I take it that you're going for everything on that build list, save for the monitors and video cards?)
Correct. Also, the first combo deal in that post is no longer available, though I guess the price on them is still reasonable to buy separately?

Back