$150 for reliable SSD

Deathwish238

Limp Gawd
I need to reinstall Windows. So I figured now is a better time than any to get an SSD to put Windows on and leave my other drive for media.

Reliability is most important. Speed is also important, but I doubt I will see much real world difference between these.

64GB Crucial M4
64GB Samsung 470
64GB Patriot Torqx 2
64GB ADATA S596
60GB OCZ Vertex 2

I'm leaning towards the first two. Prices are pretty similar. I'ld love to get a bigger drive, but for under $150 doesn't look like that's gonna happen. Optimally, I wanted an Intel 320 but I don't think I will find a 60+ GB for under $150.

Thoughts? Recommendations? Hoping to order this today.

I would go Samsung 470 on a sata II setup and Crucial M4 on a Sata III setup.

Would the Samsung 470 be faster on a Sata II setup than the M4? I figure the M4 would be more future proof, but then again in the future I'll likely want more than 64 GB

No the 470 would not be any faster. Given the price of the M4, it is definitely the better choice.

Sweet, I ordered it :)

I'm excited...I've never had anything faster than a Caviar Black. Should I install my apps on the SSD if possible? I assume that'ld decrease their load times.

hmm...$35 more for 16 GB and probably higher reliability. Not sure if I can cancel my order lol

Edit: Nope it already shipped =/

Oh well, I'll have to keep that in mind for another computer

I see reliable in the title, then reliability is most important in the first post, then the newest bleeding edge drive of the list is ordered. Am I missing something ?

The M4 is not the newest bleeding edge drive. That would be the Sandforce 2 drives. The M4 is based on a proven controller (the Marvell) used by Intel on the 510 and the Crucial C300. The M4 is just the 25nm version albeit shorter lifetime than the C300 but he did not have it as a pick in there and the C300 is getting harder to find.

I see reliable in the title, then reliability is most important in the first post, then the newest bleeding edge drive of the list is ordered. Am I missing something ?
Not always the newest is the most reliable, to me, Intel X25m would be the choice since the ssd been out for 2 years and have good feedback, mature firmware, tested in almost all platforms. All new gen has to still prove themselves on the market, that said, Intel 320 is a similar drive with the same old controller on 25nm nad, and with intel 5 year warranty backing it up, so i would bet on that. After that i seen good comments on Samsung 470s, mixed comments on Crucials (mostly freezing due to drivers/frimware) but its a good drive still.

The M4 is not the newest bleeding edge drive. That would be the Sandforce 2 drives. The M4 is based on a proven controller (the Marvell) used by Intel on the 510 and the Crucial C300. The M4 is just the 25nm version albeit shorter lifetime than the C300 but he did not have it as a pick in there and the C300 is getting harder to find.

None of the drives in the list is Sandforce2 equipped.

Why go Crucial M4 SATA-III over Vertex-3-SATA-III (Ok, much cheaper), but the latest speed tests, ive seen vertex crush crucial all the way . . .

what am i missing here ? (Besides price)

Why go Crucial M4 SATA-III over Vertex-3-SATA-III (Ok, much cheaper), but the latest speed tests, ive seen vertex crush crucial all the way . . .

Quality.

Good to know, the Sata-3 Crucials are way cheaper then the OCZ's . . .

I was under the impression that the M4 is generally worth it over the C300 so I didn't consider it.

The M4 came in today. Going to install Win 7 on it soon and I'll post an update.

The Vertex 3 is faster, but it uses the Sandforce controller which is absolute trash. They fail a lot.

All the SSDs I was looking at do not use Sandforce controllers. If I could have, I would have gotten the Intel over the Crucial for a little more as the performance difference is negligible. To add to that, the real world performance difference between the M4 and Vertex 3's is small. Going from an HDD to an SSD is a big upgrade. The difference felt between different SSDs is much smaller.

Back