~$150 amp suggestion?

VulcaN

[H]ard|Gawd
So after the thread about the DT990's not sounding good on the Creative Z card, I started to doubt the amp in my Z too. I believed the false claims of them powering up to 600ohm's and figured since my cans (Philips fidelio X1) were only ~30ohm well then shit surely the Z could power them, they don't even sound like total shit through my ipod.

Boy was I wrong, I plugged them into the headphone out of my receiver and it was a world of difference, richer sound and more bass.

So now I am in the market for a small headphone amp (that plugs into the wall, no batteries needed) so I can have this richer sound at my computer.

I was thinking of the JDSLabs objective 2 kit (so I could have fun putting it together) which makes it reasonably priced. I couldnt find on their website if you can purchase the enclosure though which was a bummer, I don't have the time to fabricate something as slick looking as their enclosure, and only saw the faceplate for sale (why doenst a "kit" come with everything?).

Or would I really notice a difference splurging on something like the Schiit Asgard 2 (~$250?)

My only requirement is that its not USB, it has to use the line out of my creative Z and not muck with the signal as the card itself does a great job making everything sound perfect, just needs more jiggawattz!

Any decent headphone amp should work. Schitt Magni would be a good choice.

BTW, 30 ohm cans require more current to drive than 600 ohm. The op-amp on the Z can drive 600 ohm and higher loads, but becomes current limited as impedance decreases. That's why I don't like op-amp based headphone amps. The O2 uses current feedback op-amps that can drive lower impedances than standard op-amps, but I still prefer a buffer or preferably a discrete class-A amplifier. My first try was here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/headphone-systems/187501-nelson-pass-inspired-headphone-amp.html

yeah the schitt or 02 are the current budget kings. you are safe with either. if you want a smaller amp i used to love my old mini3.

Back