150$ 2.1 or 2.0 setup

serpretetsky

2[H]4U
looking for some new speakers for a friend for around 150$. I can get the klipsh media 2.1 system for 90$, anyone have experience with these speakers?

Otherwise i can get the m-audio av40's for 120$, but i think my friend would appreciate the extra bass more than the clarity of the av40's. Plus the cost savings is nice.

edit: going to be mostly music.

Last edited:
have you listened to the klipsh pro media 2.1's before? How much worse are they compared to the av40's or any other speakers around that price?

What kind of music does your friend listen to?

If you already know for certain that your friend cares more about bass (I imagine you asked him), then just get the Pro Medias.

Spaceman's suggestions are usually good, but those links aren't working for me. If we're just considering the original two systems then I would think that the Klipsch 2.1s would have more bass and clarity than the AV40s. Klipsch tweeters are known for being very bright and detailed and I can confirm that, having owned 3 sets. I'd say if anything, the AV40s would have a better midrange response than the ProMedias. The Klipsch sats are small, so they cover the high frequencies quite well while the sub fills in the bass. It does sound quite good, but I will say that when I got my Audioengine A5s I noticed an immediate improvement in the mids. Things like cymbal crashes seemed to be slightly more pronounced on the Klipsch speakers, and I missed the extra bass response so I added my own sub which made me a happy camper. But I did like the way the Klipsch system sounded for the price. I've heard that they revised the system at some point and that the current 2.1 set is worse in terms of both sound and build quality than the older units. Any chance you can audition any of these sets in Best Buy?

Oh, and either of those choices would be better than Logitech IMO. They make great mice and keyboards, but Klipsch and M-Audio specialize in audio so it stands to reason that their offerings will sound better.

...I'd say if anything, the AV40s would have a better midrange response than the ProMedias
"would"? You haven't actually compared them? Then STFU. I'm really tiring of all the Klipsch heads pushing the "it's got to sound good, it's Klipsch." I know another company with a similar following that gets taken far less seriously... Rhymes with toes...

Oh, and either of those choices would be better than Logitech IMO. They make great mice and keyboards, but Klipsch and M-Audio specialize in audio so it stands to reason that their offerings will sound better.
Does it? Why? I sincerely doubt that the amount/quality of staff that Klipsch devotes to their computer speakers is any different from Logitechs if not worse simply because they'd prefer to stick their people where they make money.

EDIT: I too eagerly await spaceman's corrected links.

Spaceman's suggestions are usually good, but those links aren't working for me. If we're just considering the original two systems then I would think that the Klipsch 2.1s would have more bass and clarity than the AV40s. Klipsch tweeters are known for being very bright and detailed and I can confirm that, having owned 3 sets. I'd say if anything, the AV40s would have a better midrange response than the ProMedias. The Klipsch sats are small, so they cover the high frequencies quite well while the sub fills in the bass. It does sound quite good, but I will say that when I got my Audioengine A5s I noticed an immediate improvement in the mids. Things like cymbal crashes seemed to be slightly more pronounced on the Klipsch speakers, and I missed the extra bass response so I added my own sub which made me a happy camper. But I did like the way the Klipsch system sounded for the price. I've heard that they revised the system at some point and that the current 2.1 set is worse in terms of both sound and build quality than the older units. Any chance you can audition any of these sets in Best Buy?
A lot of good advice here, IMO.

I've never owned the ProMedia 2.1, but I've listened to them several times. But I recently went from a set of Logitech z560's to a pair of M-Audio AV30's. I had a very similar reaction to what you described. The midrange is a lot fuller, but for all the heaps of praise and promises that the M-Audio's would "blow away any computer speaker," I can't in good conscience describe their sound as especially "clear" or "detailed." More balanced? No doubt. But honestly, I don't think I'm enjoying my music as much as I was with the Logitech's (and NOT just for lack of a sub) -- and I know from experience that the Klipsch set sounded substantially better than even those.

The bottom line is that, for me, the M-Audio's sound *far* too sterile, laid-back, lifeless, boxy... whatever you want to call it. Especially in the treble... the guy I quoted described perfectly my frustration over how something like a cymbal sounds on these AV30's. If your friend is going to be listening to rock and pop, I'd pick up the Klipsch set in a heartbeat, especially for $30 cheaper.

But there may yet be better options in this price range. In fact, I'm currently searching for a suitable bookshelf speaker that's more lively and forward than the M-Audio's, ideally with a more pronounced high end. I might just try the $58 bookshelf+T-amp combo spaceman linked above and upgrade the speakers if I'm not satisfied. :)

"would"? You haven't actually compared them? Then STFU. I'm really tiring of all the Klipsch heads pushing the "it's got to sound good, it's Klipsch." I know another company with a similar following that gets taken far less seriously... Rhymes with toes...

Wow...sounds like someone ran out of Midol this month. I see no reason for the hostility when I was simply trying to provide an opinion. Just because I've owned Klipsch speakers does not make me a "Klipsch head." And I never said if it's got to sound good, it's gotta be Klipsch. What I do know is that I've been very pleased with the sound of my previous Klipsch speakers for gaming, movies, and music. This is comparing them directly to the $350 A5s as well as a home theater system which cost over $2k. Sure, the floorstanders and 15" sub sound better, but given the price of the Klipsch 2.1 system and the small amount of space it takes up, it sounds pretty damn good.

No, I haven't directly compared them with the AV40s but I have read a ton of threads on them here and can make a fairly well-informed judgment on their sound quality. If you really want me to make a trip to Best Buy and compare the two I can, but I bet my final impressions would be the same.

PhantmShado said:
Does it? Why? I sincerely doubt that the amount/quality of staff that Klipsch devotes to their computer speakers is any different from Logitechs if not worse simply because they'd prefer to stick their people where they make money.

Because traditionally, when companies make a cheaper version of their well known, bread and butter products, some of the fundamental design elements of the R&D tend to trickle down to the lower tier products. I've owned the Z-680s from Logitech which were at one time their "best," most expensive, highest-rated speaker system. And I know that they didn't hold a candle to the ProMedias when it came to clarity, separation, and overall balance. But I'm not going to argue with someone who comes in here and tells someone who is trying to be helpful to "STFU." Kids these days. :rolleyes:

Sorry about the dead links. Yeah the t-amp bookshelf combo for $58 is a NO brainer guys. Completely destroys the other sad offerings. The Klipsch hurt my ears. Logitech? no. All the pc speakers in the low end I have heard are BOOM TWEET!!!

No good midrange which is where all the info is at. Just do what I tell you and it will be an improvement. I have tried the other speakers. Klipsch isn't crap but it aint good either. Double negative ftw.

Sorry for the thread jack but this is exactly what I'm looking for. My question is if do get those 2 Daytons will I need to buy extra wires? And for the noob question this will work for my PC and if I use my 360 with my monitor right?

There is one person who commented the speaker review that said that you can later upgrade the speaker using some Vifa or Silverflute drivers. I think you can get the Vifas either at PE or Madisound. Not sure about the Silver Flutes. Kind of nice to know you can do a simple upgrade later.

Regarding the wiring, the only difficult part is to connect the sub since there is no sub out on the t amp. This is because most sound cards do not have a 2.1 option in their control driver (only 2.0, 3.1, 5.1 and 7.1) The Gizmo at Chase City Audio would have been a better choice regarding this respect since the Gizmo has a sub out. Unfortunately, they no longer sell the Gizmo. :(

I would grab those daytons and get a cheap receiver amplifier with digital inputs and a sub out on craigslist. You can grab one without HDMI for pretty cheap since everyone is upgrading to HDMI capable ones these days. Then I would wait for a good deal on a sub that can dip down to 20 hz for a killer set up. If the receiver has a built in sub amp, even better.

If the T-amp is what is preferred due to the price, then I think the way to do it is you need something like a y splitter. You split the signal coming out of the "front" connection on your analog output of the soundcard (or motherboard sound output) that normally will go to your T-amp. Then you connect one split signal into the T amp and you connect the other one into the line in of the sub. You may have to mix the L and R signals of the line when inputting to the sub. Others here at [H] know how to do this better than me.

Edit: Checking on the Vifa drivers that one reviewer posted, they seem to be discontinued. On the other hand Madisound still has the Silver Flutes for sale.
https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=45_228_256&products_id=845
There is a more extensive explanation of what the guy did during the upgrade in the review section here.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/sho...viewShow=1&&vReviewPage=1&vReviewRand=7158262
Just look for the review by joeljoel1947

Last edited:
I am in the market for a nice 2.0 or 2.1 system within the price range as well and was wondering if anyone has experience with the Polk Audio Monitor40 Series II speakers. They've been marked down significantly and Newegg has a deal on them for $110 till 1/10/11.

Klipsch Pro Media 2.1, Swan M10s or if you can grab those Polk Monitor 40s for $110 like blackred pointed out, grab a simple Stereo amp like this guy. I have the 15W version with simple Sony bookshelf speakers (desperately need to upgrade those though) and play them comfortably at almost 15% power, and that's just the 15W version. The Heaphone in is really nice as well!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back