15 Year Old Who “SWATTED” Gamer Given 25 Years To Life

I know this is fake, but examples need to be made here. This is a heinous crime that could cost lives.

You don't want SWAT weighing the possiblity of fake calls when they're busting into a critical situation. You want them focused and ready to kill the bad guys. Incidentally, this makes being a "swatee" pretty damn dangerous.

There does, but I feel locking someone up for about half their remaining life is not the way to do it.

Me too, and since lethal injections are being botched so bad these days it looks like the best is to go back to the bullet in the brain pan method.

I've never seen that. Then again, I'm not a lawyer or trial expert. If they sentence right on the spot, how do they do a presentencing report? How does the judge / jury consider mitigating factors, post-trial motions etc. etc. unless all that is done BEFORE the defendant is found guilty. :confused:
most of the things you listed don't happen very often, if at all

over 96% of criminal cases are adjudicated without a trial (i.e., plea bargaining). post-trial motions come in the form of appeals and go to a different court. PSI's can be done anytime but have to be submitted to the court before judgement. timelines vary by jurisdiction. mitigating factors, aggravating factors, are all things that people facing really serious time might addressed. in capital trials there's a second trial called the penalty phase. but pretty much all other criminal cases are going to fall on a grid of presumptive sentences that obsolete all of those subjective issues. PSI's are more generally used by the correctional facility and probation/parole office to determine the offender's needs and special treatment plans.

reality is if you go to trial you'll more often than not lose by an incredible margin and your sentence is pretty much written in stone with a sliver of a window of flex. keep in mind that although we hear about people taking months on their murder trials the average murder trial is from 3-5 days. we barely have enough time to determine who did what, when, and how let alone spend court time for rinky dink assault, drug, and these SWATing cases.

Also, this not being a direct capital offense (he didn't kill anyone himself) a minor can get sentenced to anything and be released at 18 with the exception of murder tried as an adult.

Also, this not being a direct capital offense (he didn't kill anyone himself) a minor can get sentenced to anything and be released at 18 with the exception of murder tried as an adult.

If someone is killed/injured during the commission of a felony, can't that be added as such to your own crime? For instance, a police chase ensues after a bank robbery, the police car crashes into a civilian and kills them, the bank robber has those charges tacked on to his crimes.

TwistedAegis you are correct, but still a minor can escape most of the consequences of their actions except that these things don't just go away for them. They hand around like stink from a floating turd. They get in the way of getting accepted to decent schools, jobs, etc.

TwistedAegis you are correct, but still a minor can escape most of the consequences of their actions except that these things don't just go away for them. They hand around like stink from a floating turd. They get in the way of getting accepted to decent schools, jobs, etc.

No they don't.

only a matter of time until someone is injured or killed in one of these, then the person who started the hoax will face charges for that.

Interestingly enough, people stupid enough to do this are also probably stupid enough to believe the story. It's a win-win.

TBH it surprised me that it was fake. You can actually be labeled a terrorist for something you say on Twitter or Facebook. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/aug/30/terrorist-watch-list-rules-innocent-people

The US is known for giving ridiculous sentences for stuff like this. Though this act definitely does deserve a penalty especially if the swatting involves deaths (to humans or animals) which happens often. Though it should be like a year at most and perhaps be forced to apologize to the person in front of media to add more insult to injury.

Back