1440 G-Sync recommendations

Ya nobody seems to do ZDP these days, even NEC which is stupid because the vast majority of monitors don't have any dead pixels. We buy a TON of monitors at work and rarely see one with dead pixels.

I don't know about the overall quality of the XG2703s, I bought one from Amazon and it was good. No dead pixels (though I'm willing to keep a monitor if there's a dead pixel or two around the edge that I don't really notice), reasonable uniformity, no backlight bleed and acceptable levels of IPS glow (there's more around the bottom corners, which at first glance can look like some mild BLB, but on close inspection is just IPS glow).

I've had mine about 2 weeks now and I'm pleased, I'm keeping it. It isn't 100% as good an image as the PA301W, but then I wouldn't expect that. Good enough though. Actually one of the main things I miss from the 301 is the bigger gamut. I find the more saturated colors look nice in most games. Most of the rest of the differences I don't notice a ton. Like I've calibrated the XG with my i1 Display and that causes color loss since it is doing it on the video card, it doesn't have hardware LUTs like the 301. Well I can see that one a greyscale gradient, but in actual use I don't notice it at all. You don't really need a software LUT either, with a few tweaks to the RGB gains and changing to a 2.4 gamma (the 2.4 in the menu is actually closer to 2.2 in reality than the 2.2 in the menu) and it is pretty accurate as is.

144Hz and G-Sync are just too big a difference to go back. Even on the desktop 144Hz is nice, things just move smoother like the mouse and window dragging. Not necessary, but nice. In games it is just night and day. Just so smooth. Where it really shines I feel is stuff like MMOs that vary in complexity a ton. I play ESO which has an engine written by howler monkeys and is inefficient as hell. So in dungeons and stuff it runs really fast, often at the frame limit (I have it set to limit to 141fps, the best idea for Gsync is to have the engine limit to a few FPS below the max). But then you get in to a city and the framerate goes to shit. Well even when it drops in to the 40s, it is still acceptable with Gsync. Not silky like high framerates, but not a stuttery mess like you get with a fixed frame monitor. Adaptive refresh rate really is the way to go for gaming.

All in all, I'm happy. I wish I could just add Gsync and high frame rate to my PA301 (or rather to a PA302 :D) but I'll take this.

Mainly because of all the abuse.

how were people abusing it?...if their policy is literally zero dead pixels and someone returns it because it has 1 dead pixel that's not really considered abuse...I can understand from a business decision why Viewsonic discontinued their zero dead pixel policy but I don't think it was because people abused it but rather they realized that it was unrealistic to expect every monitor to have zero dead pixels and the cost associated with giving every customer one would be crazy...I realize not everyone who has dead pixels will return their monitor (or ask for a replacement) but even if a small percentage do it's not worth the time and cost

I got my XG2703-GS yesterday and set everything up...I'm really impressed...the green accent on the bottom is hidden away underneath that's it's pretty much unnoticeable...I don't like that the top bezel is raised a bit meaning my center channel speaker doesn't really fit snuggly on top...it fits but it's not firmly on the bezel...I shook the desk a bit and everything is stable but I'm still paranoid it might fall off and am looking into other ways I can secure it into place better...the stand has this LED lighting in the center which matches whatever primary color is being displayed on your screen...I thought I would hate that but it's actually pretty cool (I'm probably still going to disable it down the line but it's not a bad feature)...the OSD button layout is a bit annoying but I got used to it (and luckily don't need to go into it too much after initial setup)

I ran a dead pixel locator program and it doesn't have a single dead pixel...as far as color accuracy it definitely not as accurate as my previous NEC 2490WUXi-BK but it's not that far off either...pretty impressive for a 'gaming' monitor...I calibrated a few settings based on a few articles I saw online and it's looking pretty excellent...blacks are the biggest weakness as they look more greyed out...the main calibration tweaks I made were I set Gamma to 2.4, Response Time to Advanced, Color Temp to User and then RGB to 100, 95, 96...I'm still playing with Brightness but I currently have it at 51 but am thinking of going a bit lower...what are people here with this monitor setting their Brightness to?

1) what is the battery recharge meter at the bottom of the OSD mean?...what's being charged?...mine shows as 70%...2) when I shut down my computer, I usually leave my monitor on (usually goes into low power mode)...with this monitor when I turn my computer back on it takes a few seconds for the monitor to wake from low power mode and it only fully turns on once the Windows loading image is on screen...meaning the BIOS setup screen doesn't show up...any way to turn off this low power mode or make it wake up faster?...or do I need to turn off my monitor each time I shut down my computer?

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I set my brightness to 16, which measures as 115nits. The battery garbage is just how much power you are supposedly saving. It is nothing but fluff.

I set my brightness to 16, which measures as 115nits. The battery garbage is just how much power you are supposedly saving. It is nothing but fluff.

you calibrated with a professional meter so I'm guessing you know what you're doing...you settled on 16 brightness based on your calibration?...I based my settings on some calibration articles which used a meter...47 Brightness is apparently around 200 nits...like you said in your earlier post the 2.4 gamma setting is actually closer to 2.2...does your monitor take a few seconds to come out of low power mode after a shut-down?

like this
Ya 16 was based on my target of 115 nits. That's what I like for my room. It is a fairly dimly lit room, with non-reflective paint on the walls so there's not a lot of ambient brightness. Same level I had my PA301W set at. It is what I find a comfortable brightness, it isn't based on anything other than that.

Can't really say with low power mode, I don't make use of it. I turn off the monitor when I turn off the computer, mostly to avoid errors with the refresh rate. There is an nVidia driver bug where it gets stupid and shows up at 85Hz instead of 144Hz sometimes if you don't do a complete powerdown.

like this
Can't really say with low power mode, I don't make use of it. I turn off the monitor when I turn off the computer, mostly to avoid errors with the refresh rate. There is an nVidia driver bug where it gets stupid and shows up at 85Hz instead of 144Hz sometimes if you don't do a complete powerdown.

are you using the 165hz overclocked mode?...there's some warning message that pops up about potential overheating when I go to enable it...I think I'm just going to stick with 144hz for now as I don't see most of my games going over that (and even if they do I don't think the difference will be all that big)...I see the 165hz more as a future proof feature

like this
I just use 144Hz. On the desktop there's no visible different, to me at least, and in games it is rare they can push it up to 144Hz, much less more than that. I'd maybe try 165Hz if I played real high speed twitch game son low graphics settings where they could actually hit that target and the lower latency might make a theoretical difference, but I don't see the point in bothering. 144Hz is plenty fast, most than my GPU (a 1080Ti) can usually handle.

like this
even without the zero dead pixel policy Viewsonic still has a pretty generous warranty- 3 years parts, labor and LCD backlight...looks like their QC is also top notch as my panel is free of any major issues...build date on mine is 06/01/2017

like this
2) when I shut down my computer, I usually leave my monitor on (usually goes into low power mode)...with this monitor when I turn my computer back on it takes a few seconds for the monitor to wake from low power mode and it only fully turns on once the Windows loading image is on screen...meaning the BIOS setup screen doesn't show up...any way to turn off this low power mode or make it wake up faster?...or do I need to turn off my monitor each time I shut down my computer?

I found the fix for this...there was a 'Deep Sleep' setting buried in the OSD which I disabled and now the screen boots normally where I can see the BIOS loadout...I thought I had disabled all the Sleep and power conservation settings but this was buried further in and I missed it...the only thing I'm still fiddling with is the Brightness setting...I now have it at 30 in a light controlled room and things seem good but maybe a bit too dim...had it at 47 yesterday...need to get my eyes adjusted to the different settings and see which one I prefer...I got to say this is a very worthy replacement for my NEC 2490WUXi-BK...it's a better overall monitor...better because of the G-Sync feature even with the lesser color accuracy...

like this
Is there an "auto brightness" option on there?

there's an Adaptive Contrast setting which I haven't tried...there's also a Dark Boost feature which adjusts the gamma by brightening up darkened areas so that you can more clearly see objects in the dark areas of games...there's also a Blue Light Filter which supposedly helps with eye strain...overall this is a very feature rich monitor...Q-BZ, you should keep this at the top of your list in case you ever need to replace your NEC

like this
Does running it on overclock diminish the life of the screen or increase strain on the external power supply? My XG2703-GS came in yesterday. Out of the box, good colors, the reflection filter doesn't kill detail and works well. Stand is good, I wish it was less wobbly. Most of the styling is inoffensive. Tempted to do the pixel test, but since there's no zero pixel policy tempted not to look since some things can't be unseen. But it looks great.

Does running it on overclock diminish the life of the screen or increase strain on the external power supply? My XG2703-GS came in yesterday. Out of the box, good colors, the reflection filter doesn't kill detail and works well. Stand is good, I wish it was less wobbly. Most of the styling is inoffensive. Tempted to do the pixel test, but since there's no zero pixel policy tempted not to look since some things can't be unseen. But it looks great.

I think running it at 165 should be fine...I don't know why they put that warning message up when the monitor is advertised to run at that refresh rate...I think if you know you can max out 165 then it's worth a go...I agree with your assessments...the anti-glare screen is excellent...I also like that the stand came pre-installed...the styling is excellent as those green accents are pretty much out of the way and unnoticeable...only thing like I said earlier is the top bezel is not ideal to place a center speaker

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back