140mm case fan replacement

I currently have the thermatake 140mm on my computer which the bearing is going bad, after about a year of use.

I was wondering if anyone has a good recommendation for a quiet140mm case fan.
I even thought about going with a 140mm to 120mm adapter so I can get some of the nicer
bearing types that come with 120mm.

thanks

I'm personally going to be going with a bunch of the Thermalright X-Silent fans -- they're fluid dynamic bearing like the Scythe S-Flexes, and from initial reviews they're very quiet.

Aside from that, you can also look into Yate Loon's sleeve bearing 140mms; however, if you're going to be mounting them horizontally, please do keep in mind that they'll fail much quicker than if they're mounted vertically.

Thanks I have been trying to find a fan that was not sleeve or ball bearing which most sites don't have in 140mm. I thought I had found the solution when I saw Scythe 140mm fan but it was 140mm fan blade in a 120mm mount, but the Thermalright fans look promising.

Yeah I know the fan bearings go out faster when horizontal, but mine is vertical so I find it weird it died so quickly. Oh well.

Your only option will be the X-Silent then! :D

Let me know what you think of them if/when you get them. They're out of stock here locally for another week or two, so I won't be able to test them out for myself until then :(

Thermalright X-Silent fans -- they're fluid dynamic bearing like the Scythe S-Flexes, and from initial reviews they're very quiet.
Translucent/transparent plastic isn't exactly good sign because those are often quite resonant.

Yeah I know the fan bearings go out faster when horizontal, but mine is vertical so I find it weird it died so quickly.
Hey, it was Thermaltake so what are you expecting?

Hey, it was Thermaltake so what are you expecting?

Looking at the computers uptime it has about 10,000hrs continuous on the fan so I guess I should not complain since that is pretty normal wear on a sleeve bearing fan.

Last edited:
Back