$140 for GPU: Single Nvidia or Hybrid PhysX?

Iyashii

n00b
I'm building a computer for my girlfriend for Borderlands 2. For her build I have a budget of $140 for a GPU. I'm curious if it would be best to purchase a single GTX 560 or spend the $140 split between an AMD main and a secondary PhysX card.

I was thinking a 6670 would be great and maybe a GT 430 or GTX 460 as a dedicated PhysX card. From my other thread here I already obtained a GTX 460 to go alongside my 6850.

Between the GT 430 and GTX 460 obviously the 460 will perform better, but the 430 uses less watts and pulls it's power from the MB while the 460 uses two 6 pin connectors.

So what do you guys think? GTX 560 or 6670/430(460)?

If you already have the GTX460, why not just use that?

That's for my computer to go alongside my 6850.

I am building a computer for the girlfriend and I am unsure on which would be better, so I am here asking for advice.

Buy one card. It's silly to have a dedicated physx card with that budget. You're not going to get much out of it.

Buy one card. It's silly to have a dedicated physx card with that budget. You're not going to get much out of it.

So a single GTX 560 should be sufficient for Borderlands 2 with PhysX? Everywhere else I've been hearing that it would be "unplayable" rendering both and it wouldn't be worth it.

The motherboard I am going to get can support two cards and my budget is $140, so I'm looking for the best performance for PhysX.

I think that for $140, you are going to get crap performance with Physx turned on, regardless of the solution you use.

I'm confused--one option you mention in the OP is a HD6670 + GTX460 (for physx)--the 460 is a better card than the HD6670.

Regardless, I'd mainly de-emphasize physx with a $140 budget. What resolution is she on?

I'm confused--one option you mention in the OP is a HD6670 + GTX460 (for physx)--the 460 is a better card than the HD6670.

Regardless, I'd mainly de-emphasize physx with a $140 budget. What resolution is she on?

Honestly I'm not entirely sure. She games on her PS3 using her 5+ year old 32" LCD TV that supports 1080p.

I have about $140 to spend on the GPU and I was curious to the ideal solution, whether it's a single GTX 560, hybrid PhysX 6670/460 or hybrid PhysX 6670/430.

It's also dawned upon me that I can get her a single Nvidia GPU and there is always the option to throw in another Nvidia card for dedicated PhysX if she wants.

Any more details? Planning on playing Borderlands 2 @ max settings at 1080p?

Not likely. More in the 720p range. I think what I'm going to do is get her a GTX 560 and let it handle everything. It should be adequate with medium PhysX at 720p with Medium/High graphics.

If she wants more we can also decide to grab another Nvidia card and use it as a dedicated PhysX, maybe something like a GT 430 or GTX 460, in the near future.

With 140 bucks, your best bet will be a single card, not 2. GTX 560 is the right choice. Or some used GTX 560 Ti / HD 7850

Best single NVIDIA card you can find. $140 isn't nearly enough budget to be considering a standalone PhysX card.

My friend is playing on a pair of 260 gtx in sli @ 1680 x 1050 with everything maxed except fxaa. And it is silky smooth, I was very suprised.I would just grab a single 560 or maybe a gtx 560 ti if you can find a deal.

Back