14 core i9 v. wait for Coffee Lake

floridadoc

n00b
So I'm looking to put together a new computer to use for work (medical imaging and artificial intelligence), but I also plan to do some gaming on the side. Is there any advantage to waiting for Coffee Lake v. getting the 14 core i9 when it comes out in September? Will the top line Coffee Lake be faster than the 14 core model?

So I'm looking to put together a new computer to use for work (medical imaging and artificial intelligence), but I also plan to do some gaming on the side. Is there any advantage to waiting for Coffee Lake v. getting the 14 core i9 when it comes out in September? Will the top line Coffee Lake be faster than the 14 core model?

The top-line Coffee Lake will probably be a better gaming CPU with much higher clocks than the 14-core i9.

The i9 will be a much better work-related CPU since it's got 8 more cores. It's also probably going to cost at least >$1k more than that Coffee Lake setup.

If the programs you use for imaging and AI scale well with more cores and doesn't hit a wall, then it would be worth it to go with the 7940X. Also, if you're in need of more memory the 7940X will be able to use up to 128GB while the 8700K will be half that. You also have quad-channel bandwidth vs. dual-channel, so some other things to keep in mind for your work.

It's funny, people always underestimate the raw power of non latest gen tech. Either way you go it's a beast. If you can use the cores, then it's a no-brainer, build the system with more cores. If not, then go the IPC route.

On that note though, medical imaging and ai work sounds like stuff that can use more cores. My vote is to build a core monster. Besides, as a work rig that should be priority and it will still own games just fine. The small percent improvement in FPS with the newer chip will be marginal compared to the improvement of having more cores if you can use them.

Though a work rig like that might want ECC, so look at Xeons or Threadripper.

Last edited:
Reactions: N4CR
like this
Checked out Threadripper?

About the same speed in multi threaded workloads for half the price and has ECC....

Considering the 16 core TR is about equal to the 10 core i9....Not to mention gaming is an entirely different league between the 2.

Go for the CPU core workhorse, i9, since you are mainly using it for work. Work faster and more efficient with more CPU cores and have more time for games.

If you plan on doing any form of scientific computing you will benefit from AVX-512. Also consider Xeon W for ECC and a workstation class motherboard. I like SuperMicro for many reasons.

If you don't need cores the W-2123 is going to be a great deal as you get 2xFMA in a small package.

Last edited:
Checked out Threadripper?

About the same speed in multi threaded workloads for half the price and has ECC....

I'm a big TR fan but I haven't seen anyone with working ECC - I dont mean you can plug ECC RAM into the board and it will work, I mean with functioning ECC.

If the programs truly use all of the cores, TR 16 core is top dog for now. OP mentioned gaming on the side, so the slightly lower frames at 1080p will doubtful matter...

Back