13900KS and 192GB RAM?

cpufrost

Gawd
I see these 48GB DIMMs are on the market and not too expensive.
Has anyone actually gotten four to work on a Z790 board?

It seems this is more AM5 territory but there have been issues as well.

Yeah it is no picnic on the AM5 side - I can't speak to Intel this gen.

I adopted AM5 early so I focused on higher density in two DIMMS due to four DIMM issues. So I have 2x32GB DDR5-6000 standardized across my rigs.

What in gods name do you need with that much ram in a desktop... Server yes desktop no.

More than a handful of Chrome tabs open! ;-)

LOL the proverbial question! Workstation duties not typical desktop roles. Miss HEDT and server boards fill the role but $$$ and rather long boot times, etc.
Virtualization, simulation, LOVES RAM!

I have a Macbook Pro with 96GB too. My 64GB one was hitting limits.

I'd love to have 4-8TB or more memory. Things just run great in RAM. And too, the security of having *everything* diskless. A power cycle kills everything forever! ;-)

Yeah it is no picnic on the AM5 side - I can't speak to Intel this gen.

I adopted AM5 early so I focused on higher density in two DIMMS due to four DIMM issues. So I have 2x32GB DDR5-6000 standardized across my rigs.
4x DDR5 DIMMs isn't a picnic for anyone. You can do it on the Intel side but you'll have to run the RAM at lower clocks than you would with just two DIMMs. The difference is significant on that as well.

I get it, always been the case but I'd run (in the case of DDR4) 2100 over 3600 if that meant 128GB vs 64, for example.
Sometimes we get lucky! Threadrippers didn't mind heavy ram loads and still worked with XMP. Depends on the modules obviously. Some RAM and boards absolutely "hate" each other too and simply refuse to POST at all.

More than a handful of Chrome tabs open! ;-)

LOL the proverbial question! Workstation duties not typical desktop roles. Miss HEDT and server boards fill the role but $$$ and rather long boot times, etc.
Virtualization, simulation, LOVES RAM!

I have a Macbook Pro with 96GB too. My 64GB one was hitting limits.

I'd love to have 4-8TB or more memory. Things just run great in RAM. And too, the security of having *everything* diskless. A power cycle kills everything forever! ;-)
Honestly I have a dedicated ProxMox Server for this :)

I get it, always been the case
No, it really hasn't. With overclocking records, perhaps but generally speaking this has only been a problem in the DDR4 era. It's also more of an issue with AMD systems than Intel CPU based systems. Now, as chip density increases speeds tend to suffer in that its hard to find 32GB modules that can clock like 16GB modules, etc. But beyond that, breaking DDR4 4000MHz+ using 4x DIMMs on Intel systems is not really a big deal. I've done it plenty of times on 9900K's, etc.
but I'd run (in the case of DDR4) 2100 over 3600 if that meant 128GB vs 64, for example.
In most cases, this would be a very bad trade where desktops are concerned. In fact, dropping below 3200MHz is pretty awful on desktops with DDR4. After 3200MHz you hit diminishing returns pretty quickly. This is also a goal post that moves over time as RAM speeds increased and with newer software. At one time 2666MHz was the sweet spot for DDR4 for cost and performance but it's moved to 3200MHz over the years. This changes as memory controllers improve, processor architectures change, etc.

That's not going to happen with most desktop workloads.
True but remember we need as much memory as possible!
128GB is generally fine but we're pegged out a lot. Another 64GB would help, but with anything else I'd guess I'd be looking for 256GB! ;-)

I'm using a 13900K with 128GB DDR5 4800 with good results so far. It's definitely better than the 5950X with 128GB of DDR4 3200.
It certainly uses more power though.

EDIT:

I read where they will be releasing 64GB DDR5 DIMMs soon! 256GB DDR5 4800 here we come! 🙃

Last edited:
Yes and believe it or not alongside hearts and solitaire too! At the same time! 🙃
OMG-Katy-perry-califonia-dreams.gif

I use 4 sticks with my 5800X3D chip and it works fine at 3600 speeds, anything beyond that though it has issues without playing with the timings quite a bit. I think speeds on AM4 have quite a bit to due with luck of the silicon and motherboard quality. But getting 3200 speeds on 4 sticks on AM4, is usually not difficult and I enjoy having 64 gigs of ram. As for AM5 I have not heard of serious issues with training the ram other then how long it takes, but I doubt anyone has tried 192 gigs either. As for Intel I rarely hear of much of anyone having trouble with setting their ram speeds for the most part.

I fully support 192gb of ram on a desktop. Chrome is at the door.

Crazy how AMD seems to be taking the crown in memory now. First 192GB and now the new AGESA that gets crazy speeds. AM5 needs some good news!

I see these 48GB DIMMs are on the market and not too expensive.
Has anyone actually gotten four to work on a Z790 board?

It seems this is more AM5 territory but there have been issues as well.
I thought it was to cater to the higher Intel memory clocks. 48GB ultra speeds. AMD RAM isn't in that discussion (differant arch) and currently happy at much lower speeds.

I thought it was to cater to the higher Intel memory clocks. 48GB ultra speeds. AMD RAM isn't in that discussion (differant arch) and currently happy at much lower speeds.
https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-age...5-platform-8000-mt-s-teased-on-223-b650-board

Running this now on my ASRock X670E Taichi. DDR5-8000 and DDR5-8200 in the article. I'm just running 64GB DDR5-6000 and I haven't tried anything but they spent weeks focusing on memory speeds alone wtihin the AMD engineering dept.

Nevermind I see there are two components: 192GB AND high speed. Which I have not seen on the AMD side, yet. Either way - progress is being made with RAM and AM5.

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-age...5-platform-8000-mt-s-teased-on-223-b650-board

Running this now on my ASRock X670E Taichi. DDR5-8000 and DDR5-8200 in the article. I'm just running 64GB DDR5-6000 and I haven't tried anything but they spent weeks focusing on memory speeds alone wtihin the AMD engineering dept.

Nevermind I see there are two components: 192GB AND high speed. Which I have not seen on the AMD side, yet. Either way - progress is being made with RAM and AM5.
Watched some guys show yesterday. He said there was some sort of divider or such memory setting that severely limits the 8000 memory performance. In his tests 6000 speed RAM was superior.

Watched some guys show yesterday. He said there was some sort of divider or such memory setting that severely limits the 8000 memory performance. In his tests 6000 speed RAM was superior.
6000 is the best bet right now for AMD or Intel IMHO, the crazy 7-8 kits are nice but for the costs and real world difference it's hard to justify IMO.

6000 is the best bet right now for AMD or Intel IMHO, the crazy 7-8 kits are nice but for the costs and real world difference it's hard to justify IMO.
Agreed somewhat as costs aside it has been how Intel held the crown atm. Yes it is a lot of cost and you need the skills, but a benchmark sells a 1000 CPU/GPU's right?

bought asus x670e proart creator wifi today and i heard a lot bad reviews of asus mb so i decide to update bio before the build(so dumb).6000 is the best bet right now for AMD or Intel IMHO, the crazy 7-8 kits are nice but for the costs and real world difference it's hard to justify IMO.

Back