13900k ITX future

Epyon

[H]ard|Gawd
Does anyone know if something down the road is coming that would prevent a ITX board? With CPU getting really fast and now offering 128gb on the intel board I am starting to wonder what i would really be missing but wanted to know if a cpu was coming that would prevent itx?

How would that stop them from releasing an itx board? If you want huge amounts of memory and excellent VRM cooling you simply don't buy an itx board.

Not necessariliy. A lot of ITX boards are better designed than their mATX counterparts (unfortunately). I would run a high end CPU on a well built ITX board. Also, Intel's memory controller currently blows, so I'm not sure why you'd want 4x RAM slots when it drops the memory speeds almost in half by populating 4 DIMMs. You'd need applications that would benefit from more memory vs. larger memory bandwidth.

Not necessariliy. A lot of ITX boards are better designed than their mATX counterparts (unfortunately). I would run a high end CPU on a well built ITX board. Also, Intel's memory controller currently blows, so I'm not sure why you'd want 4x RAM slots when it drops the memory speeds almost in half by populating 4 DIMMs. You'd need applications that would benefit from more memory vs. larger memory bandwidth.
I'm not saying you can't run a high end CPU on an itx board, it just isn't as well built as a typical ATX one in terms of heat dissipation.

I'm not saying you can't run a high end CPU on an itx board, it just isn't as well built as a typical ATX one in terms of heat dissipation.

I would say it's probably as well built as an ATX board and probably overengineered. There just physically isn't as much room to dissipate heat. Coupled with the fact that they often go into smaller cases with less airflow means they tend to boost less, etc. I wonder if you put an ITX MB in a regular ATX case with the airflow, etc. if there would be much (if any?) difference.

I would say my Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX board was the equal of any other B550 board I used. Techspot did a review and it actually beat the Aorus Pro ATX board in terms of stock speeds running Prime95. When you started to OC it, the relatively small size of the VRM heatsink started to show, but it was still stable.

Overall, I'm impressed with what OEMs have been doing with ITX within the past 5 years or so.

Thanks this all started with me reading something about amd cutting features on itx boards for the next gen so i was not sure what they were talking about. I am doing Houdini and 128 is important to me but I am looking for other ways to cache out my sims via a high speed nvme 8TB. I am hoping that when I buy a computer some time in 2023 that we have higher and better DDR 5. It also looks like this board supports 3x nvme drives as well so that is very good as i only use 1 at a time so bandwidth is not a issue

I am reading up on Gear 1 and Gear 2. I know nothing about it.

The issue would be if the VRM can support that CPU or not. If it supports 12900k and full boost then it should be fine for 13900k. Look at reviews.

Hopefully 13900K runs cooler stock. I hate having to fiddle with overclocking settings these days. Undervolted the 12900K but I want to skip that.

Does that happen with atx as well? I can't seem to find info on these dim speed drops. for this specific Mother board: ASUS ROG Strix Z690-G Gaming

Does that happen with atx as well? I can't seem to find info on these dim speed drops. for this specific Mother board: ASUS ROG Strix Z690-G Gaming
on the qvl for that board, 4x 16 drops all they way to 4400 and theres only one listing. even amd can get finicky with 4 sticks.

Back