13900k + 4090 Loop capacity

Proxy

Pumpkin Ghost
So basically I was wondering if you guys think that two 360's would be enough for a 13900k and 4090 FE. I don't plan on any crazy OC'ing, or anything like that. For the CPU I was going to limit it to the 253W TDP, and default boosting rather than let the mobo BIOS go nuts with voltage and boost duration. I still want the head room for the 4090 to be able to hit its max boost as well. Both rads would be in a Fractal Meshify 2 case. So one rad in the front drawing air in, and the other 360 at the top exhausting air out. Thanks!

I dumped your specs into EK's Loop Configurator and it shows a heat load of 853W and suggested a 360 and a 240 for a cooling potential of 702W. It says it sufficient but your coolant temps(34C) will be a bit higher giving you higher fan speeds and a noise level of 40.5 dB. If I go into expert mode and pick 2 x 360 (I had to choose a different case, EK doesn't think 2 x 360s fit in the Meshify 2, but we know they do) your cooling capacity jumps up to 838W then your coolant temps down to 32C but noise goes up to 41.3 dB which I assume is due to the extra fan.

So if you plan on limiting the wattage of the CPU, that would definitely help. Also be aware that the dB specifications are going to be using their Vardar fans. Other fans might offer lower or higher dB.

How important is noise? The Loop Configurator is a good ballpark estimate but that's all it is.

Can't find numbers on the RTX 4090, but the worst RTX 3090 namebrand blocks generally had less than 20 C delta core to water temperature, so if you're fine letting your water temps rise you can run your fans a lot quieter.

So basically I was wondering if you guys think that two 360's would be enough for a 13900k and 4090 FE. I don't plan on any crazy OC'ing, or anything like that. For the CPU I was going to limit it to the 253W TDP, and default boosting rather than let the mobo BIOS go nuts with voltage and boost duration. I still want the head room for the 4090 to be able to hit its max boost as well. Both rads would be in a Fractal Meshify 2 case. So one rad in the front drawing air in, and the other 360 at the top exhausting air out. Thanks!
I have a similar case with a 360 front rad & a 360 top rad (also a 120 rear rad but doesn't apply to you) and I would recommend going all exhaust on both rads (get ready for the dust comments even though it is minimal in my experience) I tried every combination and turns out the coolest temps in case and coolest temps for the cpu and gpu and basically everything inside the case was in fact cooler with all the radiators set to exhaust all the hot air out. I would not run the front intake because it cancels out the efficiency of the top rad plus hotter in case temps and component temps.
My temps were exactly lined up with what Greg Salazar demonstrates in this video
Contrary to popular belief, ALL rads set to exhaust is the best overall for performance. I tried it and definitely agree with the results. So, I always run all exhaust now with only intake from the bottom (or delete side acrylic panel and replace with mesh for dust or just leave open if you don't mind blowing out every 2 months even though I leave my clear acrylic panel on for looks and less dust no problem).

^Would this statement be true even for bottom mounted rads? Have an Enthoo Primo that is a bit closed off and wondering if this setup would help me as well.

I have a loop with 2x360 Rada.

Cools my 13900k and 4090 incredibly well.

CPU 25c idle and 50-60 after hours of gaming.

GPU low 30s idle and around 60c under gaming load. Hottest part is GPU memory which hits around 75c when pushed.

My GPU is also overclocked pretty high as well.

After having a CPU and GPU water pool for years and years I have now changed my mind and switch to only CPU water cooling. Nowadays with these gigantic 4090s that have air coolers the size of two 360 radiators combined I don't see the point in water cooling the GPU anymore because the air cooled cards cool just as effectively as the water cooling parts also there is no headroom left to overclock a water-cooled graphics card anymore the airport cards are reaching the same boost clocks with the same temperatures with the same quiet noise levels and all the water cooling of the GPU is for aesthetic purposes which is fine except for the level of complexity and additional level of strain the GPU water block is putting onto the water resistance in the loop straining the water pump even further. I will never get another water cooled GPU, it's just not worth it anymore my past four gpus have been water blocked so I was a firm believer but not anymore besides I think these massive gpus look kind of sexy if you ask me LOL

After having a CPU and GPU water pool for years and years I have now changed my mind and switch to only CPU water cooling. Nowadays with these gigantic 4090s that have air coolers the size of two 360 radiators combined I don't see the point in water cooling the GPU anymore because the air cooled cards cool just as effectively as the water cooling parts also there is no headroom left to overclock a water-cooled graphics card anymore the airport cards are reaching the same boost clocks with the same temperatures with the same quiet noise levels and all the water cooling of the GPU is for aesthetic purposes which is fine except for the level of complexity and additional level of strain the GPU water block is putting onto the water resistance in the loop straining the water pump even further. I will never get another water cooled GPU, it's just not worth it anymore my past four gpus have been water blocked so I was a firm believer but not anymore besides I think these massive gpus look kind of sexy if you ask me LOL
Some valid points. But if you think fans on a high end gpu is quiet as a properly configured custom water cooled loop in full load , then you must have had some ridiculously high rpm fans on the rad(s); And or bubbles in the loop swashing. have personally never seen a fan cooled Gpu beat my loop for silence. Every single time I test this (up to 3090) the air cooled GPUs are no comparison. Now if you are referring to AIO. Then I can't comment on those as they are inferior to a custom loop.

Some valid points. But if you think fans on a high end gpu is quiet as a properly configured custom water cooled loop in full load , then you must have had some ridiculously high rpm fans on the rad(s); And or bubbles in the loop swashing. have personally never seen a fan cooled Gpu beat my loop for silence. Every single time I test this (up to 3090) the air cooled GPUs are no comparison. Now if you are referring to AIO. Then I can't comment on those as they are inferior to a custom loop.
There is a massive difference between the 3090 and the 4090. The 4090 is on a whole different level when it comes to cool and quiet. Also it depends on how you tune your air cooled 4090. You can tune the fan curve to where it can be even more silent than it already is stock. You want even quieter? You can tune the voltage or the power curve even further. I've read all the reviews about the water blocks and the water cooled 4090s. There is no difference in performance that's for sure and the temperature difference is negligible along with the silence difference all negligible and not worth the trouble to go water on it now a days. I found it hard to believe also but it is true, the 4090 heatsink/cooler apparatus is phenomenal. I'm so glad I don't need to deal with water anymore after 4 flagship cards on water 980ti/1080ti/2080ti/3080ti I am finally free of the hassle. Yes, I loved it, and it was fun, but it was also a hassle when you don't have all the time in the world to tinker with all your hobbies. Plus, honestly the air cooled 4090 just looks flat out badass. There is something relaxing about a good ol' fashion heatsink/fan combo also especially if it performs as well as water you start to weigh the pros & cons and see what fits your needs/wants/time.
To top it off, if there was a cpu air cooler that performs as good as my water block, I would be all over it but that is not in the cards right now. Which is what makes the 4090 such a marvel.

As other have stated, the air cooler on the 4090 is massive and keeps the thing cool and quiet. The power efficiency curve of the 4090 is pretty much flat past anything over ~70% power limit or undervolted. My Zotac is at 65% PL which seems to be the sweet spot for F@H, my hotspot temps never hit more than ~55c @ 30% fan. I can't hear the card over the case fans.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/nvidia-rtx-4090-performance-after-undervolting/

I'm putting going to put my 4090 under water not because I'm worried about thermals or OC but to I want free up my 2nd PCI-e slot for another GPU to run F@H. :ROFLMAO:

Back