> 137Gig hdd Installs..

ExpresKeep

Limp Gawd
Hey guys.. haven't posted in forever.. me and a friend will be building a setup pretty soon.. I went to Best Buy today to check out to see if they had any deals I couldn't find on newegg or resellerratings and found a 250gig ATA-100 Western Dig drive for 160$(if i remember correctly) after mail in rebate (250$ originial)... now I know with drives larger than 137 gigs u need XP w/ SP1 on it.. we are going to have a secondary 80 gig drive but were planning on using it soley for video and audio files... is there anyway to install the OS to the 250gig drive? Also on a completley seperate note... should we get that drive or stick w/ a 120 gig ATA-150 from Maxtor? Both are 7200rpms

there are a few ways to do that.
My first and formost suggestion wuold be a slipstream install of SP1 if you can do it. if you can you shouldh ave no problem useing the 250gb drive.

visable.. excuse me for being a dolt but im really not sure what that is.. could u explain it a bit more for me?

Originally posted by ExpresKeep
visable.. excuse me for being a dolt but im really not sure what that is.. could u explain it a bit more for me?

No problem man
a slip stream install is where you integrate the service pack into your install there are a few sites out there that will tell you how to do it.
Here is a quick walk thru man
Click here

Hmm sounds a wee bit confusing but I think I could manage... isn't it pretty much like having an install disc of WinXP w/ SP1 on it? If that's the case couldn't u just install any of the new retail XP boxes that have SP1 on them already?

Please, please, PLEASE do not format the entire hard drive into one partition. I STRONGLY reccomend making a 10-20GB Partition to install Windows and other system files on. This way if your Window install gets corrupted, and you have to reformat, you can just format the small partition and lose windows, not all of your data.

Seocndly: You need a motherboard BIOS that supports 48Bit (LPA?) Addressing or something of the sort. I believe most new mobos should come iwht it now, but a simple bios update will be fine. Also, if you do the 20Gig system partition, you will then be able to install XP without having to do a SP1 Slipstream. Thus letting you install SP1 afterwards.

Hmm sounds a wee bit confusing but I think I could manage... isn't it pretty much like having an install disc of WinXP w/ SP1 on it? If that's the case couldn't u just install any of the new retail XP boxes that have SP1 on them already?

Basicly yes it is an install with SP1 allready on it.
I suggested this since the way I read your post it seems like youve got the "normal" version of XP's install...the one with out SP1 on it.
Now when you say "couldn't u just install any of the new retail XP boxes that have SP1 on the already" you mean buying another copy of windows? if so you dont need to since youve got a copy..all youd need to do is slip stream it. If you mean something else I may be reading that WAY wrong

Originally posted by Foolio882
Please, please, PLEASE do not format the entire hard drive into one partition. I STRONGLY reccomend making a 10-20GB Partition to install Windows and other system files on. This way if your Window install gets corrupted, and you have to reformat, you can just format the small partition and lose windows, not all of your data.

Seocndly: You need a motherboard BIOS that supports 48Bit (LPA?) Addressing or something of the sort. I believe most new mobos should come iwht it now, but a simple bios update will be fine. Also, if you do the 20Gig system partition, you will then be able to install XP without having to do a SP1 Slipstream. Thus letting you install SP1 afterwards.

I do one partition since all my critical files are on other physical drives. Im running 3 drives now and a 4th will be coming soon.
But for those with 1-2 physical drives ill agree with ya :)
Now what your looking for is a mobo that supports 48bit LBA (you were close :p )
I wish I would have tried to install my 160gb drive on win 2k the way your saying...perhaps I could have said how well it works LOL
But ive since upgraded to XP Pro.

Originally posted by Visable-assassin
I do one partition since all my critical files are on other physical drives. Im running 3 drives now and a 4th will be coming soon.
But for those with 1-2 physical drives ill agree with ya :)
Now what your looking for is a mobo that supports 48bit LBA (you were close :p )
I wish I would have tried to install my 160gb drive on win 2k the way your saying...perhaps I could have said how well it works LOL
But ive since upgraded to XP Pro.

Ah, so close!

I haven't had the oppurtunity to do what I was suggesting either. But as far as I know, a 160GB drive would show up as 137GB until you did the required updates. I also suppose doing a 30GB partition would then free up the other 130GB, which you could partition through windows, correct?

I'm babbling now, I need sleep...

install it to 20gb partition... then use a program like partition magic to resize it after installing sp1

Ah, so close!

I haven't had the oppurtunity to do what I was suggesting either. But as far as I know, a 160GB drive would show up as 137GB until you did the required updates. I also suppose doing a 30GB partition would then free up the other 130GB, which you could partition through windows, correct?

I'm babbling now, I need sleep...

I tried to use my 160 as a standard slave drive on 2k..it would only format to 127gb. No matter what I did the thing would not go correct...untill I found the registry tweak for it :D

Originally posted by Visable-assassin
I tried to use my 160 as a standard slave drive on 2k..it would only format to 127gb. No matter what I did the thing would not go correct...untill I found the registry tweak for it :D

But I think if you would have made an 80 Gig partition, you would have been able to then make another 80 gig partition (give or take, depending on the difference between Gb and GB)

But I think if you would have made an 80 Gig partition, you would have been able to then make another 80 gig partition (give or take, depending on the difference between Gb and GB)

probably but the registry tweak worked just fine :)
but ill agree with what was posted above you could always use partition magic..but man that thing scares the shit outta me

OK so basically to sum it all up:

As long as the XP disc I'm using has SP1 and my mobo has 48bit LBA on it then I'm good to go. Anyone know if the Abit NF7-S Motherboard has 48bit LBA? Couldn't find it in the specs on dealtime.

OK so basically to sum it all up:

As long as the XP disc I'm using has SP1 and my mobo has 48bit LBA on it then I'm good to go. Anyone know if the Abit NF7-S Motherboard has 48bit LBA? Couldn't find it in the specs on dealtime.

as long as your winxp has SP1 bro your fine. Im on an NF7-S rev2 right now and its working great with my 160gb drive :)
right now it looks as if its just yoru OS killing you :)

Back