137GB limit. need help asap.

Grinder

n00b
I've got a 200GB Western Digital harddrive but I haven't got an IDE controller that supports 48bits adressing, haven't got any free pci ports to place an add in card so I'm stuck with the 137GB limit. So can i just format it to 137GB and use it like this until I get a new computer without running into any problems other than not being able to use the drives full capacity?

My ESP isn't working today, so what Oeprating System are you using? If it's XP and you install SP1, you can format the drive to the whole 200 GB, well close enough after formatting.

I'm using XP but the bios can't recognize all 200 GB, just 137 GB, so SP1 won't help.. So is it safe to format those 137 GB? I won't risk losing any data or something? I'm gonna get a new comp within the next 6 months so if it works I can manage with 137 GB til then..

Grinder said:
I'm using XP but the bios can't recognize all 200 GB, just 137 GB, so SP1 won't help..

*smacks forehead*

You know....learning to do your own research is never a bad thing. If you bothered to look into it, or use the handy search feature we have here, you'd see that SP1 solves the barrier problem. I try not to make assumptions when somenoe is listed as a "noob", but when you ask a question, and get the answer....the absolute last thing you want to do is ignore it. If your running XP right now as well, you should be installing SP2. I can't imagine not even having SP1 installed.

Ooops.. I thought you needed a 48bit compatible ide controller.. But it's nice to see that it's not necessary.
I'm sitting on a fresh install atm so I haven't installed any service packs yet, was waiting for an answer on this topic first but I'm gonna install sp2 later today.

Thanks for the help..

Grinder said:
Ooops.. I thought you needed a 48bit compatible ide controller.. But it's nice to see that it's not necessary.
I'm sitting on a fresh install atm so I haven't installed any service packs yet, was waiting for an answer on this topic first but I'm gonna install sp2 later today.

Thanks for the help..

The 48bit address fix is built in to SP1....which is built in to SP2. So if you go right to SP2, it should work fine.

If you haven't installed any service packs yet, you shouldn't be on the internet :p.

djnes said:
*smacks forehead*

You know....learning to do your own research is never a bad thing. If you bothered to look into it, or use the handy search feature we have here, you'd see that SP1 solves the barrier problem. I try not to make assumptions when somenoe is listed as a "noob", but when you ask a question, and get the answer....the absolute last thing you want to do is ignore it. If your running XP right now as well, you should be installing SP2. I can't imagine not even having SP1 installed.

Do your own research first: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013

"By default, the original release version of Windows XP Home Edition and of Windows XP Professional do not have 48-bit LBA support. Your computer must meet the following requirements to use 48-bit LBA ATAPI support:
48-bit LBA-compatible BIOS.
137-GB hard disk or larger.
You must have Windows XP SP1 installed."

If his BIOS doesn't support 48 bit LBA, then he is stuck with 137GB, but yes he can still use that space.

Or he can install software (from the MFG, maxblast from maxtor, WD has one too I know) that will enable the full size through software..

What drive are we talking about? Also what Motherboard, there may be a BIOS update for it to enable this.

==>Lazn

It's a Caviar SE (WD2000JB). As for the motherboard I'm out of luck since I'm sitting on a DELL... :( With the latest bios installed so it's kinda hopeless.

Grinder said:
It's a Caviar SE (WD2000JB). As for the motherboard I'm out of luck since I'm sitting on a DELL... :( With the latest bios installed so it's kinda hopeless.

You want the datalifeguard tools: http://support.wdc.com/dlg/facts.asp
"Data Lifeguard Tools Software Utilities
Easily partitions and formats the new hard drive.
Overcomes operating system and BIOS limitations....."

you can download them here: http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp#dlgtools

Combine that with SP1 or newer on Windows XP and you should be good to go.

==>Lazn

Lazn_Work said:
Do your own research first: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013

"By default, the original release version of Windows XP Home Edition and of Windows XP Professional do not have 48-bit LBA support. Your computer must meet the following requirements to use 48-bit LBA ATAPI support:
48-bit LBA-compatible BIOS.
137-GB hard disk or larger.
You must have Windows XP SP1 installed."

If his BIOS doesn't support 48 bit LBA, then he is stuck with 137GB, but yes he can still use that space.

Or he can install software (from the MFG, maxblast from maxtor, WD has one too I know) that will enable the full size through software..

What drive are we talking about? Also what Motherboard, there may be a BIOS update for it to enable this.

==>Lazn

Wow...you get cocky with me, but yet your still unsure of yourself. DO you know how far back you'd have to go to find a mobo that wouldn't support a larger drive? Much farther than back than anyone's main machine on here.

djnes said:
Wow...you get cocky with me, but yet your still unsure of yourself. DO you know how far back you'd have to go to find a mobo that wouldn't support a larger drive? Much farther than back than anyone's main machine on here.

He said he is "on a DELL... With the latest bios installed that DOES NOT SUPORT 48bit addressing"

Ask the first quiestions first, even if they are not likely.

Don't diagnose a car not running as the injectors as bad when it might be out of gas.

==>Lazn

Lazn_Work said:
He said he is "on a DELL... With the latest bios installed that DOES NOT SUPORT 48bit addressing"

Ask the first quiestions first, even if they are not likely.

Don't diagnose a car not running as the injectors as bad when it might be out of gas.

==>Lazn

Just because he stated it was a Dell and had the latest BIOS, doesn't say anything about not being compatible. I don't need any help in troubleshooting PCs....been doing it for 8 years now, professionally, and much longer as a hobby.

If you spent more time on here, you'd see how many times this questions is asked, and how many times it's the same damn solution. I've been here for four years, so forgive me for being slightly annoyed (as are tons of others) at seeing the same questions over and over.

Back