• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

1366x768: Why?

MartinX

One Hour Martinizing While You Wait
Joined
Jan 23, 2003
Messages
7,184
I'm in the market for a new TV and I'm looking at LCD screens, however, I've noticed that most of them in the size range I'm looking at seem to run at 1366x768.

This vexes me, I'll mostly be using the screen for my Xbox360, PS2 and watching SD DVDs for now (probably from one of the consoles, or possibly my PC, maybe from a dedicated DVD player if someone convinces me the picture will be better), but here's the thing, why that resolution?

HD is 1280x720 or 1920x1080, so surely a native 1280x720 screen will yield better picture quality for HD content than 1366x768?

Do LCD TVs scale in a different way to LCD monitors?

I'm sort of concerned that I'll loose a lot of image quality due to the rescaling when/if i start using proper HD content and fully expect SD content to suck ass based on my experience with LCD monitors.

Does anyone have a TV at that res, and if so, what is the image quality like (for instance watching a SD DVD from an Xbox360)?
Woulda higher quality DVD player give better image quality, or is the scaling a bottleneck?
 
I'm guessing because a lot of the panel manufacturers are geared to produce 1024x768 panels for pcs. Its probably easier for them to produce 1366x768 panels, and your right a native lcd resolution for content is always preferable imo. Scaling is never perfect.
 
1366X768 does resize 720P content but supposedly, it is so slight you cant really tell (mind you I have no personal experience with it).

Most LCD TV's sold seem to be 1366X768. It's actually getting harder to find a true 720p display. You know that wouldn't be the case if the scaling was a big problem. Because people wouldn't buy the 1366 displays if it was a major issue.

So in summary as far as I know, dont worry about it. It'll look great. Just think, it's barely scaling at all.
 
Roceh said:
I'm guessing because a lot of the panel manufacturers are geared to produce 1024x768 panels for pcs. Its probably easier for them to produce 1366x768 panels, and your right a native lcd resolution for content is always preferable imo. Scaling is never perfect.
You can't even run on 1366 x 768 on a PC. Only 1368 x 768.

Still begs the question.
 
Sharky974 said:
1366X768 does resize 720P content but supposedly, it is so slight you cant really tell (mind you I have no personal experience with it).

Most LCD TV's sold seem to be 1366X768. It's actually getting harder to find a true 720p display. You know that wouldn't be the case if the scaling was a big problem. Because people wouldn't buy the 1366 displays if it was a major issue.

So in summary as far as I know, dont worry about it. It'll look great. Just think, it's barely scaling at all.

As far as I know, a small amount of scaling can be just as detrimental to an image as a large amount of scaling.

In fact, I would wager that scaling from 1280x720 to 1366x768 would look far worse than scaling from 1280x720 to a huge resolution like 2560x1600.

The more pixels you have to work with, the less obvious scaling becomes.

Is it possible that these TV's don't scale the image, and instead have tiny bars along the side of the display?
 
PKFGimpy said:
As far as I know, a small amount of scaling can be just as detrimental to an image as a large amount of scaling.

In fact, I would wager that scaling from 1280x720 to 1366x768 would look far worse than scaling from 1280x720 to a huge resolution like 2560x1600.

The more pixels you have to work with, the less obvious scaling becomes.

Is it possible that these TV's don't scale the image, and instead have tiny bars along the side of the display?
I don't notice any black bars on my display (1366 x 768). Maybe the signal is croped instead of scaled?

Still you wouldn't know the difference.
 
Back
Top