• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

1366 Xeons and Bigadv

Joined
Feb 13, 2012
Messages
51
I'd like to play around with a 2p system, not just for folding, though that would be the main focus.

Because of motherboard prices, it looks like it'd be cheaper to pick up a 2p 1366 Xeon setup over a G34 Opteron rig, provided I use the 4 core Xeons. Would two, 4 core xeons with hyperthreading be enough to make the bigadv time? They would be the 1366 socket, and probably the 2.4 ghz chips.
 
I'm sure someone will chime in with the true facts, but I think the SR2s are still making the deadline.
 
Thanks for the info. The 6 core ones would be about on par with a couple of Magny-Cours once total price is considered it seems. (at least from the last few days of research) Do a pair of 8 core Magny Cours still meet the deadline, or do you have to step up above that now? I'm relatively new to folding, and most of the information I'm finding through google seems a bit dated.
 
I think they do with 6core Xeons OCed pretty heavily.

Yeah, I believe that a couple of hex core chips would be okay. It's been a while since I sold my SR-2 setup, but I'm thinking the quad core chips won't make the BIGADV cut anymore will they?
 
You'd need to clock a pair of 8-core MC's at 2.9-3.0 GHz to make deadline of the most
demanding unit (P8101).

Currently, this is only possible with SM 4P board, 2.3 GHz+ (6134 or better) chips and heavy
overclock. 6134s would be pushing it though (and you'd probably need premium memory).

6134s are very cheap on eBay ($66) so if you want to go with 4P board they _may_ be
worth the gamble.

Your goal can be accomplished easier with 12-core units -- you'd need a pair at "only" 2.0
GHz.

Stock-speed-wise, we're talking 6170 (OEM only) or 6172 (2.1 GHz).
If you use SM 4P board, any 12-cores will do (moderate OC req'd w/slowest 12-cores).
 
I'm using a couple of 6168's on a ASUS 2P, 1.9Ghz and they meet the deadline without issue. ;) BTW Tear, any word on that custom BIOS for the ASUS 2P's?
 
1.9 could work, too, what's your TPF?

Nope, Asus is currently pretty low in the priority list; 4p IL/PD is the current development.
 
Honestly a 4p board is a bit beyond my budget currently. This is just to be a little project I run at work to play around, as my boss as agreed to pay electrical costs for folding.

I might just skip bigadv for cost and do regular SMP units. Is there a thread around here with more up to date PPD on the 6134's and various 1366 xeon chips? If not, could you throw me some numbers, as you seem to know what's going on.
 
Go with 1.9 (or better) 12-cores, then, my spleenless friend.

Rule of thumb:

Let P6901 time = P
Then, P8101 time = 2.22 x P

Let 4P time = R
Then, 2P time = 2 x R

Stock 4p 6174 P6901 TPF = 6.66 minutes (6m40s)

6174 frequency = 2.2 GHz

To scale to other frequencies -- multiply TPF by 2.2 and divide by desired frequency.

To get PPD, insert TPF into http://linuxforge.net/bonuscalc2.php

To meet the deadline you need P8101 TPF of 34m33s or better (not including download/upload times).

Let know if you have further questions :)
 
Thanks for the info. The 6 core ones would be about on par with a couple of Magny-Cours once total price is considered it seems. (at least from the last few days of research) Do a pair of 8 core Magny Cours still meet the deadline, or do you have to step up above that now? I'm relatively new to folding, and most of the information I'm finding through google seems a bit dated.

A pair of 8 core (total 16 core) magny cours will NOT meet the deadline on 8101 units. You'll need at least 24 cores (2x 12 core) to hit the deadline at this point.

Honestly a 4p board is a bit beyond my budget currently. This is just to be a little project I run at work to play around, as my boss as agreed to pay electrical costs for folding.

I might just skip bigadv for cost and do regular SMP units. Is there a thread around here with more up to date PPD on the 6134's and various 1366 xeon chips? If not, could you throw me some numbers, as you seem to know what's going on.

I'm not sure where you're looking at prices, but 4 socket G34 boards are going for about the same price as the dual socket G34/1366 boards these days. I will have 4x 6128's to unload in about a week should you be interested....
 
Go with 1.9 (or better) 12-cores, then, my spleenless friend.

Rule of thumb:

Let P6901 time = P
Then, P8101 time = 2.22 x P

Let 4P time = R
Then, 2P time = 2 x R

Stock 4p 6174 P6901 TPF = 6.66 minutes (6m40s)

6174 frequency = 2.2 GHz

To scale to other frequencies -- multiply TPF by 2.2 and divide by desired frequency.

To get PPD, insert TPF into http://linuxforge.net/bonuscalc2.php

To meet the deadline you need P8101 TPF of 34m33s or better (not including download/upload times).

Let know if you have further questions :)
This is amazingly useful, and just the kind of information I was looking for, thank you.

A pair of 8 core (total 16 core) magny cours will NOT meet the deadline on 8101 units. You'll need at least 24 cores (2x 12 core) to hit the deadline at this point.



I'm not sure where you're looking at prices, but 4 socket G34 boards are going for about the same price as the dual socket G34/1366 boards these days. I will have 4x 6128's to unload in about a week should you be interested....

I'd like to know where you're seeing this. I'm finding 1366 boards in the $100-$200 range, 2p G34 in the $250-$400 range, and 4p G34 at $600+
 

DC FS/FT - 402 recently had a Supermicro 4p G34 up for $500.

This is amazingly useful, and just the kind of information I was looking for, thank you.



I'd like to know where you're seeing this. I'm finding 1366 boards in the $100-$200 range, 2p G34 in the $250-$400 range, and 4p G34 at $600+

Used or within the [H]orde, you're looking closer to $500 for the 4p G34, new is about $650 and I was mentally comparing that to a KGPE-D16 which is around $420. I haven't shopped for 2p G34's in about a year though. The connectoin I made was it was about $80+ more to go 4p, therefore, even if you can only afford to fill 2 sockets, you have a LOT of room for expansion later.

Another example, is that I assembled Folding Rig 1 in my sig for $1200 just a few months ago (not including the drives).

Ninja Edit - The 1366 boards are cheaper, but once you source a pair of hexen chips, your budget is as good as flushed. If you are going with overclockable 1366 chips, then you'll need the SR-2, which is around $500 as well
 
Bigadv is a no-no on 2p LGA 1366 unless you

a:- Have a pair of Hex cores running at 2.66 or better - this is the absolute minimum and given the fluctuations in 8101 tpf i would consider 2.8 a safer limit i.e x5660 or better
b:- Have a pair of quad cores on an SR-2 running at ~3.6.


Please note that the SR-2 is the only board that will allow 2p over clocking, all other boards run at stock + turbo

As for regular SMP tpf.

A pair of E5530's will get you about 33k, A pair of L5640's will get you upto 53k and a pair of x5670's will net you about 70k These are all on linux
 
Just to confirm the info in this thread:

My SR-2 running dual hex with HT are meeting the bigadv deadlines with bonus points. I think I have them OC'ed to 3.2 or 3.4.
 
Back
Top