• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

1366 Bolt thru kit question

Burner27

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Oct 23, 2000
Messages
6,862
I just setup my new i7 setup. I am using an Ultima 90 heatsink and I bought the 1366 bolt thru kit. Question is regarding the screws. I read on their website that you are supposed to "bolt down" on the screws in a criss-cross manner. I did this, but I went until the screws stopped turning anymore. The springs are not fully compressed either. I'd say mine are 1/2 compressed. The board isn't warped either. Did I do it right?
 
Once the screws stop turning, you are done. It will not allow you to go on and on to damage the board or cpu.
 
yeah I just installed my Thermalright Ultra 120 today and the screws will stop turning once you hit a certain point.

Also check to make sure that the board isn't bending either to ensure it's installed correctly. Best of luck.
 
yeah I just installed my Thermalright Ultra 120 today and the screws will stop turning once you hit a certain point.

Also check to make sure that the board isn't bending either to ensure it's installed correctly. Best of luck.

Board isn't warped after install. The bracket was very stiff when trying to expand it back to the open position under the Ultima90, but i got it to work.
 
I know this is stupid to ask now but, what is the likelihood you could do damage to the CPU or socket during installation? I mean the load plate pretty much keeps the CPU from moving, but other than too much pressure being put on the socket or CPU by cranking down on the screws (even though i know the spring-loaded screws are meant to prevent that and the screws themselves stop once they can go no more)--how tough is the socket once the CPU is in it?

I ask because during my installation, 2 of the opposing screws (diagonally from each other) went on the bracket fine, while the other two, while cranking them down, kinda caused the bracket to slide down a bit rough over the backplate screw holes. Not sure if that would do any damage. In the end they are all even and the board isn't warped, I am just paranoid that I may have damaged the socket (bent a pin) or the CPU by putting too much pressure on the IHS during the semi-uneven install. I ave had no issues with the board at all since my install.

Thank you
 
Also, does anyone notice that the 'arms' of the retention mechanism have a slight bend in them after being securely mounted?
 
Back
Top