130nm vs 90nm amd64..

bizzy420

Limp Gawd
ok so i read the reports and the 90nm is about 2-7% faster in some situations...my question is, is the price difference worth it? how well do the 130nm version overclock?

im planning to get a 3500+, but jsut not sure to go for the 130 or the 90nm version.

The 90nm versions are cooler at higher clocks, that's the main practical difference. Anandtech had them score a couple percent faster at stock clocks, too, but not enough to matter.

Yes though the 90nm are better, you won't really tell the difference. Go for the cheaper one which should be the 130nm

unless your overclocking. then the 90nm may get you to a higher clock speed. it seems to be the luck of the draw at the moment, but the average 90nm seems to get to 2.6-2.7ghz while the average 130nm tops out at 2.5-2.6 (with those random exceptions of course)

The 90nm version will be a better investment. It will perform better and run cooler. The 90nm only dissipate 67w compared to 89w on the 130nm.

That power difference is pretty major, my vote is for the 90 as well

And all else being equal, cooler is always better with computer components, both for the sake of their own long-term reliability, and because they make everything around them hotter, too.

CastleBravo said:
And all else being equal, cooler is always better with computer components, both for the sake of their own long-term reliability, and because they make everything around them hotter, too.

They operate at a lower voltage so there is alot more room for overclockability.

ok thanks guys. damn last week the 90nm were $295, now there up to $320.
knew i should of ordered it last week. do u guys see any price drops any time soon?

bizzy420 said:
ok thanks guys. damn last week the 90nm were $295, now there up to $320.
knew i should of ordered it last week. do u guys see any price drops any time soon?

They should drop back down after they get in larger supply. Right now its sorta like supply and demand so i'm sure their going to price gouge.

the 3200+ went up almost $80 on newegg from less than a month ago, wish I had bought then. If you can afford to wait till after holiday season, you should see some very good prices.

Back