~1300 ArchLinux Gaming PC

Shattoww

n00b
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing?
This will be an Arch PC used primarily for daily use, gaming(Path of Exile, CS:GO), and minor programming use. Please note that I'm looking for hardware that should be mostly supported under Linux.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
1400, yes.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible. U.S. California - I live near a MicroCenter

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, MOBO, Case, PSU, Monitor(2x)Needs to have low heat output(low watts), GPU

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing?
I have 1x 120GB SSD and a 1 TB HD that I will be reusing

6) Will you be overclocking? Yes.

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
I'll need two.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
ASAP

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0 (Not really sure what the premium motherboards are offering these days)

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? This will be an ArchLinux PC, No key needed.

Let me remove the ArchLinux requirement as it seems to be scaring some people away. Lets pretend this will be a Windows 10 box so I can get some recommendations coming :) Been out of the hardware game for a long time now.

Let me remove the ArchLinux requirement as it seems to be scaring some people away. Lets pretend this will be a Windows 10 box so I can get some recommendations coming :) Been out of the hardware game for a long time now.

Nah, you just posted during our work hours. Can't be browsing HardForum during work hours y'know. ;)

All right, two monitors is pretty much going to take out $280 from your total budget + $8 for the stupid EWRA and the $25 for tax for a total of $313. Which leaves roughly $1100 for the system itself. Actually, make that $1000 since some areas of California charges 10% tax. <<<----So Cal Resident

How long is the drive to Microcenter for you? Do you have Amazon Prime?

I've decided to wait for skylake architecture. I'll resurrect this thread then. For the record, Microcenter is about 5m away. I don't have Amazon Prime.

Back