13.4 and 13.5 Fan issues

Metallikat

Weaksauce
So, I updated to 13.4 from one of the previous beta versions. Playing intensive games always made my 7970 fans spin loudly, but after that driver update it ramps up the fans to even crazier speeds. It becomes deafeningly loud. It eventually dies off, but starts back up again minutes later. I did a full uninstall of the 13.4 drivers and tried the 13.5 beta drivers, but I still get the same issue. Anyone else experiencing this?

So, I downgraded back to 13.3 beta3 drivers, and the fan speed issues are gone. Guess I'll just have to make sure I hang onto them for the time being.

I think for some cards the fan speed is not aggressive enough. My 7970 is unstable before the fans kick into high.

I've seen guys talking about hotter cards since 13.4/13.5.

5-6C more on average. Perhaps that's why you see greater fan speeds. This is the first time my card is being noisy since it reaches limits I've never seen before. It's not something to worry about, just saying.

5-6 Celsius degrees is just the right amount for my card to become noisy.

Did you notice greater temperature along with the greater fan speeds or just the latter?

Last edited:
It's not that I'm worried, it's that the fan noise gets frighteningly loud, As in it literally startled me when it cranked up out of nowhere. It completely drowned out the sound from my speakers.

I've had the idle bug with a few of the recent drivers. I'll walk away from my computer and come back to it with the fans blaring full speed and the card is pumping out some serious heat. The current one didn't present the bug for me this time though. Thats with my xfx 6950.

The idle bug brings on the video clocks, right?

A few monitors were having this problem in official 13.1, including mine. This bug has been fixed, though. All versions of 13.3 beta, 13.4 whql and 13.5 beta do not contain that specific bug.

The idle bug brings on the video clocks, right?

A few monitors were having this problem in official 13.1, including mine. This bug has been fixed, though. All versions of 13.3 beta, 13.4 whql and 13.5 beta do not contain that specific bug.

Yeah, my gpu and mem clocks would stick full throttle and the card would get really hot.

Back