• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

12v voltage drop

Dark_fire

Gawd
Joined
Nov 6, 2005
Messages
599
I have a X-connect PSU that i got about a year ago. Recently i somehow got my hands on a GTX 512. Whenever the card has to Render in 3D (ex games, ATI tool) you can seriously hear the fans sloowww down. PC probe 2 reports the 12v going from 12.03 to around 11.65 and somtimes dips to 11.58 which is below 5%. It is rated for a 34A 12v. Should i replace it and if i have to, any recommendations? Rig in sig
 
You may have to, but get a Digital Multimeter first the check it. You cant rely 100% on those software readings :(
 
While getting a Multimeter is a good idea you are hearing that the fans are slowing down when the software voltages are reading lower. Since the voltages are dropping when the card is rendering and that is a good indication that the power supply can no longer keep up with the system and it time to replace it. I do not put a lot of faith in published Specs. I had my share of power supples problems and I currently using a Emermax Noisetaker and happy with it.
 
The PC Power and Cooling....but personally I prefer quieter PSU's so Iwould at least suggest you look at the Seasonic S12 series.
 
quadnad said:
Fortron/Sparkle PSUs are of quite good quality as well.

I sent Sparkle an email that said the place where I work was planning to put their PSU into an environmental tester... and asked if it would turn on and regulate the outputs properly at -40C? To my surprise, they tested it on their own (free) and sent me the test data. Yeah, it did work even at -40C.
 
Frank4d said:
I sent Sparkle an email that said the place where I work was planning to put their PSU into an environmental tester... and asked if it would turn on and regulate the outputs properly at -40C? To my surprise, they tested it on their own (free) and sent me the test data. Yeah, it did work even at -40C.

Well they did the test for you and were honest enough to tell you the results....sounds good to me from a honesty/trustwortyness standpoint. More than you can say for a lot of companies in the PSU business.
 
yeah, funny how companies with names like "Sparkle" with the hardware coming from another company like "Fortron" don't exactly sound like they'd be trustworthy or good quality, and yet somehow they are.
 
Back
Top