• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

12V fan on USB?

Quantum

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 15, 2004
Messages
215
Could I damage my laptop if I connected a 12V 80mm fan to the USB port? I know USB only carries 5V so the fan would spin slower, if at all but that's not the point.

PS. I read that any unit connected to a USB 2.0 port can draw at most 500mA. The 12V 80mm fan I connected was 280mA. Could this lower amperage prevent damage on the USB port?
 
Could I damage my laptop if I connected a 12V 80mm fan to the USB port? I know USB only carries 5V so the fan would spin slower, if at all but that's not the point.

Indeed, if it starts spinning at all, alternatively you can try making a Joule thief to power that fan. :p

PS. I read that any unit connected to a USB 2.0 port can draw at most 500mA. The 12V 80mm fan I connected was 280mA. Could this lower amperage prevent damage on the USB port?

Remember that those fan specs are for nominal, remember Ohms law? The impedance of the fan won't change, so if you lower the voltage, guess what will raise?

if you connect a device that "asks" the USB port for 1A, then the USB port will try to give that kind of amperage and it will fry itself while doing so.
 
Back
Top