• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

12V DC Desktop/Server Power Supply Question

richinsc

n00b
Joined
Jan 29, 2009
Messages
22
Hello All,

Normally there is so much information floating around on here I can find the answer to a question without posting. But this time I'm a bit stumped.

I'm am in the process of designing a 12 Solar System and I have everything I could possibly want able to run off 12V DC except for Desktop/Server. I was wondering if anyone new of any power supplies, redundant power supplies if possible, that would allow me to run my computer system purely on 12V? I want to avoid getting into inverters if possible because then I have to go up to a 24V or 48V system.

I did think about creating a 24V System just for computers to run on 110-112V but if it can be done on 12V I think I could build my system for much cheaper. I may end up building a 24V system separate from the 12V system to allow for future appliances that I don't have a need for at the moment and those that only run on 110-112V.

Basically what I am looking is product(s) or actual power supplies that you know of. I'm still searching on Google but thus far haven't found what I am looking for. I know I can build a carputer to use as a main computer but I would rather prefer converting my current system over to 12V.
 
Servers that use redundant DC power supplies run off -48V (which makes more sense than 12V actually). I have yet to come across a large computer power supply that uses 12V, let alone one that is redundant.
 
BINGO! Found what i was looking for. Thanks Skakruk.

On google I was searching "12 DC Power Supply" and that didn't give my very many good results. I visited the link you gave me and saw that they had ATX in the name so I went back to my search and changed it to "ATX Car Power Supply" and found this.

http://www.cartft.com/catalog/il/919 <- 500W DC ATX Power Supply (9-18VDC)

This should work I think... Gonna do more research into this power supply and see what I think about it. Kind of sucks thought that have to ship overseas from Europe to US. I might see if I can find some in the US. However having a picture of what the power supply should look like helped immensely.
 
Blue Fox, Thanks for that info.. I'll look into that, but that raises another question if I build a 48V Batter bank would I be able to hook the -48V Power Supplies directly too it?
 
Your batteries would be doing +48V, not -48V.

Batteries are floating with respect to ground. Swap the terminals and they're -48V sources. It'd work fine. The only time you'd run into trouble is using a non-isolated positive DC supply powered by the grid or some other negative-ground system (possibly your battery charger?).
 
Batteries are floating with respect to ground. Swap the terminals and they're -48V sources. It'd work fine. The only time you'd run into trouble is using a non-isolated positive DC supply powered by the grid or some other negative-ground system (possibly your battery charger?).
You're correct, but better terminology would be "with respect to common" (as opposed to ground). And you would want to make VERY sure that someone doesn't inadvertently connect something to true ground.
 
Back
Top