12K PC Gaming on Windows 8

He was able to run 12K at 30Hz with one 7970; by setting Dirt 3 to medium to high settings and not using any anti-aliasing, he was able to run it at 35 FPS. He was also able to run a single 4K display at 60Hz with no problem.

The article gets interesting when he attempts to run 12K at 60Hz. They had to get an overnighted custom driver update from AMD to get it to work at all. Two 7970 cards in Crossfire only managed 8 FPS in Dirt 3. They had to add a third 7970 to get a 62-67 FPS average with settings on High and by turning off shadow detail and particles. The 750W PSU they had on hand (brand unknown, there's pictures of it but with no labels showing) would only handle the load for several minutes before resetting due to overload.

It's pretty clear that 12K is going to need much better video cards than are available now, but that doesn't really matter because it seems like most PC game enthusiasts resist spending more than $250 per display for their $1200 PC builds.

I've never seen a 4K monitor in person. Is the human eye really able to tell the difference between 1080p and 4k on a monitor that small?

Given the typical viewing distance, yes. A 31 inch diagonal display at 3840x2160 would need to be viewed from approximately 25 inches away to be considered a retina display. You'd need to view the same size 1920x1080 display from around 50 inches to not be able to resolve individual pixels.

Typical viewing distance to a desktop display is 18 to 24 inches.

I've never seen a 4K monitor in person. Is the human eye really able to tell the difference between 1080p and 4k on a monitor that small?

A good point behind these monitors is to get rid of the need for MSAA and move to Alpha AA. So yes, 1080p monitors have insane pixelation even at 19", these monitors will too but to a much lesser degree.

Is is possible to make monitors without the side bezel?

These multi-panel displays would look so much nicer if they weren't separated.

Sigh.
Windows.
PC.
Playing with a controller, and only going for 30-60hz.
You can tell where MS wants to take gaming.
:(

Sigh.
Windows.
PC.
Playing with a controller, and only going for 30-60hz.
You can tell where MS wants to take gaming.
:(

It's more hardware limitation than what Microsoft wants you to play.

I looked at a 55" 4K Sony at the store the other day and I was blown away compared to 1080p (granted, they do run looping 4K content so I'm sure regular TV would look like ass). I game on a dell 30" and I would dump it in a heartbeat for a 30-37" 4K that could do 60hz.

The human eye can perceive up to 576 megapixels but comparing a biological "camera" to a mechanical one are two very different things.

The human eye is backed by the human brain which its sole job other than bodily functions is to disseminate reality as we individually perceive it. Therefore it constantly discards MASSIVE amounts of information in favor of what it thinks is "important" data and "non important" data. A mechanical camera absorbs as much light as the technology that it consists of is capable of doing and therefore it records ALL of that information at once regardless if that information is logical to its purpose or not. Part of what makes the human brain such an impressive biological CPU is its ability to parse so much information and accurately "mark" vital information for any number of reasons and uses.

Think of it like this , 4k monitors have 4 times as many pixels as 1080p monitors. Its like a Retina display (the Apple displays) in sense that you are packing more pixels into almost the same space so 4k monitors will be able to reveal much greater and finer detail. If you have a decent pair of eyes you should be able to tell the difference pretty much as soon as you see it , this effect is more dramatic if you have it next to a 1080p display of similar size.

They left it at a 750Watt powersupply? They think that was one of their bottle necks... why didn't they just bump up the juice! You no lika the juice!?

Def use controller for Grid and Dirt games.

Going to join in on saying "what's up with the bezels"??

I could actually see that you might stagger them to reduce how much bezel you actually see, with one slightly behind the other kind of like he had them especially when your tilting them but, dude, close up those gaps yo!

I looked at a 55" 4K Sony at the store the other day and I was blown away compared to 1080p (granted, they do run looping 4K content so I'm sure regular TV would look like ass). I game on a dell 30" and I would dump it in a heartbeat for a 30-37" 4K that could do 60hz.

I had this exact same experience. 4K side by side with a 1080p and the difference is VERY noticable.

Interesting concept but like someone else mentioned, the gaps are insane. These monitors also have ungodly price tag and 8ms refresh. They are geared towards professional photo/video editing and probably are not very good for gaming. The game/desktop resolution with these is sick, no argument there.

Not worth it... Unless your loaded.

xbox 360 controller is the best controller ever made imo... Id use it on all consoles if i could.. For pc gaming its great when it makes things easier, mostly driving games, unless you have a good driving wheel.

xbox controller fail? Yeah righteo keyboard fanboy. Don't even know when different situations suit different control. Don't limit my peripherals you fascist keyboard nazi. You explain how having no analog steering/gas is somehow better for a racing game. I personally don't see why a keyboard is still a mainstream gaming peripheral, i stopped using one years ago in favor of a g13 with analog movement.

These multi-panel displays would look so much nicer if they weren't separated.

No they're making them with bezels just to annoy everyone.

The most basic reason that monitors without bezels aren't made is that it leaves the edge of the monitor completely unprotected. This makes getting the monitor from the manufacturer to you nearly impossible without significant damage, because of people like this.

First off: How many times can he say "extreme!"

Secondly, while this is very impressive, I still can't get over the Bezel/gap between the screens in multi-monitor setups. Do people get used to that?

It's perception to use a multi-display setup like that. You are focused on the main screen and your peripheral vision sees the side screens without much notice of the gap in between.

Really though, if you have a visible bezel, at all..... The same argument could be had as to why no de-bezeling.

I want to see development aimed at 4K screens from both camps, hopefully.

"Hey guys, what should we play in 12k?"

"DiRT 3!!!1111111"

Alright [H] experts. Why the hell did these so called experts not understand bezel management?
WTF? No one noticed that these amateur jerk-offs don't know the first and most important thing about wide screen gaming. And apparently no one in these forums either.
Sad bros. Sad.

750 is plenty...

no its really not.. my pc has an 850w inbuilt and it only has 1 gfx card.. i had to put an additional 750w so the card would run properly (it was skipping frames, and particularly bad when overclocked).. and this system had 3 cards at the end..

Secondly, while this is very impressive, I still can't get over the Bezel/gap between the screens in multi-monitor setups. Do people get used to that?

Sort of. The way his were set up I don't think I could get used to it.

I have three 24" screens but I put the side monitors slightly behind the central one to essentially remove one of the bezels. Works well for me. Once in game if you focus in and let yourself be drawn in your mind can see past the bezel and you really don't notice it.

Most of the action still takes place in front of your face and you let your peripheral vision see what is happening on the others monitors naturally. If you want to look to the side while in the heat of things you typically move the mouse to "turn your head" and see vs physically turning your head so the bezels are really not a big deal.

It's not for everyone and it does take a bit of getting used to but I really enjoy it. Makes any game that supports it properly much more enjoyable for me.

no its really not.. my pc has an 850w inbuilt and it only has 1 gfx card.. i had to put an additional 750w so the card would run properly (it was skipping frames, and particularly bad when overclocked).. and this system had 3 cards at the end..

Either your PC has a noname that claims 850 and puts out 400 watts, its modular and you loaded up everything on a single rail somehow or its defective. There is no way a single GPU setup needs that much, hell even with a dual GPU single card a quality 600 watt is plenty of power.

Sort of. The way his were set up I don't think I could get used to it.

I have three 24" screens but I put the side monitors slightly behind the central one to essentially remove one of the bezels. Works well for me. Once in game if you focus in and let yourself be drawn in your mind can see past the bezel and you really don't notice it.

Most of the action still takes place in front of your face and you let your peripheral vision see what is happening on the others monitors naturally. If you want to look to the side while in the heat of things you typically move the mouse to "turn your head" and see vs physically turning your head so the bezels are really not a big deal.

It's not for everyone and it does take a bit of getting used to but I really enjoy it. Makes any game that supports it properly much more enjoyable for me.

This, what people have to keep in mind is that you are looking at the main screen and the side ones are a sort of peripheral vision. You really shouldnt notice the bezels at all unless you are OCD and keep staring at them.

Back