128Mb isn't enough, I need to upgrade

lorcani

2[H]4U
First, the specs:

AXP 2200+ @ Stock (will always run at stock)
Shuttle MN31N (dual-channel support with the NFII)
128Mb Generic DDR-2100
5400RPM Maxtor 40Gb
ATi Radeon 9000Pro 128Mb
Windows XP Professional
On-board sound, wireless networking through USB device.

I know that 128Mb is bottlenecking games (this is for my younger brother, he does a lot of 3D gaming). I want to go for 512Mb in a (2)256Mb configuration (will the benefit of dual-channel be worth the extra money?), but it has to be relatively cheap.

The limit is really around $85, just about absolute max.

My idea:
Single Channel: Mushkin Basic Green 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-2700 - Retail. $77.
Dual Channel: Mushkin Basic Green 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-2700 - Retail. $42 X 2 = $84.

Cheaper is better. I don't want to have to buy 2 sticks if I won't see noticeable benefits from the dual-channel.

What do you guys think?

but 1 stick of 3200... dual channel makes almost no difference with AMD..

get this.. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-219&depa=0 it is $2 more than the one you listed, otherwise the same memory... and it won't be a bottleneck down the road if you upgrade soemthing else..

and it will give you the option to get another one down the road for a gig..

theoretically 1 stick of ram uses less power than 2..

get the pc3200 for $2 more though... you might need it in the future

also.. since you will be using the pc3200 at 2700 speeds, you might be able to lower the cas from 2.5 to 2, which will speed it up more than any advantages you could get from dual channel

Dual channel isn't a huge difference. Just a few percent. It makes a much bigger difference if you're using integrated video. Some of the stuff coming out is going to want a gig. Hell, Far Cry and Battlefield already do. While an NF2 board can do 2x256 in one channel and 1x512 in the other, it's usually better to just have a 512 in each.
Thought about the Mushkin 512MB PC3200 for $79? That might be a better choice if you think he might upgrade the proc sometime sorta soon.

I don't think I'll go for any higher than 512Mb, but I'll go for the PC3200. $79 a good deal for the Mushkin?

lorcani said:
I don't think I'll go for any higher than 512Mb, but I'll go for the PC3200. $79 a good deal for the Mushkin?
without a doubt. Mushkin has a worry free warranty service too. If it ever craps out on you you'll appreciate the service level they offer.

Dual channel on non-integrated video is good for a 3-5% speed increase. Not bad for when your trying to optimize a system....those 3% speed boosts add up when you figure it this way:

Updated mobo drivers~3% speed increase
Optimized video drivers ~3% speed increase
Dual channel~3% speed increase
The power of compounding!

For someone on a severe budget that increase may not be worth the extra money though. That money might be better off saved for the next upgrade :)

SJetski71 said:
For someone on a severe budget that increase may not be worth the extra money though. That money might be better off saved for the next upgrade :)
Say no more. :D I'll avoid stretching the bank account this time around.

Just ordered the $79 Mushkin PC3200 512Mb stick, as scottatwittenberg suggested. Thanks for the help guys. :)

Back