- Joined
- Oct 12, 2004
- Messages
- 15,022
I have found a few debate on 128 Mb vs 256 Mb but none has a very clear explanation. I decided to make a new one and formulate a better question to help me make a better decision 
I know video card memory is mostly used to store textures. I wanted to know at what resolution/quality settings we start to overflow the 128 Mb area, thus making 256 Mb video cards a better choice. Doom 3 or FarCry would be a good choice as those game is very heavy on the video cards.
I plan to buy a LCD screen and most of them run at 1280x1024 by default so it is pointless to run the games at 1600x1200. Having a LCD screen can alleviate the need of more memory and save money on the graphics card (this is the last nail to hit for my decision between 6800NU/6800GT and i'm not very keen of FPS games but wanted to make it usable for a long time).
I know video card memory is mostly used to store textures. I wanted to know at what resolution/quality settings we start to overflow the 128 Mb area, thus making 256 Mb video cards a better choice. Doom 3 or FarCry would be a good choice as those game is very heavy on the video cards.
I plan to buy a LCD screen and most of them run at 1280x1024 by default so it is pointless to run the games at 1600x1200. Having a LCD screen can alleviate the need of more memory and save money on the graphics card (this is the last nail to hit for my decision between 6800NU/6800GT and i'm not very keen of FPS games but wanted to make it usable for a long time).