128 mb or 256 mb on AGP Card

ziscwg

Limp Gawd
I'm looking to upgrade my AGP video for the last time before I go to pci-e. I'm guessing to last around 12 months. (I'm not going there yet because I'm hoping for the dual core prices to come down more.) I only have a 17" CRT, so I usually only up to 1280X1024.

Will going with the 256mb version vs the 128 mb get me much more for the money?
I want to get as big a jump in performance as I can.

I'm looking to stay under $300.
I'm have, or are goint to play: Quake 4, HL2, Doom 3, Serious Sam2, FEAR.

I was looking at the nvidia 6800 gt card because they play q4, doom and fear better, I think.

Thanks

Your best bet at 300$ would be an AIW X800XT for 306$, if you want to go the Nvidia way, yes the 6800 GT would be the best card.

What does the 256 mb vs the 128 get me? Nothing until I get to resolutions beyond my current monitor?

ziscwg said:
What does the 256 mb vs the 128 get me? Nothing until I get to resolutions beyond my current monitor?

It will probably help you out at 1280, especially with FEAR. I'm not sure what kind of gains though.

ziscwg said:

Wrong. You like to play your games without pauses? Then go with 256. The new games need the frame buffer for textures.

I would definitely go 256mb. In games like FEAR, Doom III, Quake 4, etc. 128mb is not going to cut it at anything higher than medium quality textures. With some of these new games taking advantage of even 512mb video cards I would not get a new card with anything less than 256mb, unless of course it's a midrange card that's not going to take advantage of it anyway.

Thanks,
I'll go with the 256 mb, If can find one............. That ZipZoomFly place has them all on back order. I hope they get some back in stock.

ziscwg said:
Thanks,
I'll go with the 256 mb, If can find one............. That ZipZoomFly place has them all on back order. I hope they get some back in stock.

What about newegg? Also, I think that ATI is selling refurbished x850 XT-PE with full 3 year warranty at your price range, check it out.

I actually found a BFG 6800 GT OC at my local Best Buy for $350. With my $10 Best Buy rewards credit and a $50 gift card from a Bday present, my out of pocket expense came in under my $300 budget (except for that pesky sales tax).

Thanks for the help! :) I'm sure I'll have a sore mouse hand tomorrow :D
I guess I'll have to change my profile now :cool:

ziscwg said:
I actually found a BFG 6800 GT OC at my local Best Buy for $350. With my $10 Best Buy rewards credit and a $50 gift card from a Bday present, my out of pocket expense came in under my $300 budget (except for that pesky sales tax).

Thanks for the help! :) I'm sure I'll have a sore mouse hand tomorrow :D
I guess I'll have to change my profile now :cool:

Good card at a good price, congrats. Try Far Cry with HDR set to 2, then you'll see what that GT can do!

acroig said:
Good card at a good price, congrats. Try Far Cry with HDR set to 2, then you'll see what that GT can do!

Thanks,
I forgot about Far Cry and HDR. I will have to play it again. Right now I'm playing Serious Sam 2. It's seriously stupid fun. In SS2, it's not a question of where enemies are, like in Far Cry, but do I have enough ammo to kill them all. :D

ScHpAnKy said:
definately go 6800 for Doom 3 and Quake 4
ATI promises that their cat 5.11 will make their cards outperform Nvidia in Q4, D3 and other OpenGL games. So i would say go with x800xt, I have x800xl and I love it.

air2k5 said:
ATI promises that their cat 5.11 will make their cards outperform Nvidia in Q4, D3 and other OpenGL games. So i would say go with x800xt, I have x800xl and I love it.

Pffffff..haha ha haha!!!!!!! Thats a good laugh, you made my morning. :p

IceWind said:
Pffffff..haha ha haha!!!!!!! Thats a good laugh, you made my morning. :p
Go read man, If you are an Nvidia fan that is fine, but before you trash anything LEARN THE FACTS.

air2k5 said:

All their cards or just their new X1800 based cards?

256mb ram on videocards is such a gimmick. I play doom3 on ultra now at 1280*1024 w/my 6800 vanilla which has 128mb of ram. Its nice and smooth, very very playable. Of course I wouldn't take my word for it either, but firingsquad has done many articles comparing the differences like here: http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/quake_4_mainstream_performance/page5.asp among many others. Its a scam just like 1mb L2 cache on an a64, as anandtech found it makes >8% differences on even cpu bound games like HL2: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2330&p=5

Don't believe the hype!

Back