126V input voltage - too high?

eddieck

Gawd
I know this is the PSU section, but you guys are pretty smart so I thought this would be a good place to ask this.

My APC Smart-UPS SUA750 just turned on its "AVR Trim" function a few minutes ago. Googling reveals it is compensating for a high input voltage from the utility company. PowerChute is showing a 126V input voltage.

I'm in a typical US house with what I believe is a NEMA 5-15P plug - your standard 15A 120V residential plug.

Is this cause for concern? If this persists tomorrow, I'll try another outlet and see if the results are any different. I unfortunately don't have any testing equipment to try to verify what the UPS is showing.

edit: I should also add that I've lived here for 10 years, and this is the first time there's been any issues.

Last edited:
It's within 5% of normal so I wouldn't worry about it, if it went up to 10% above normal I would start to worry.

I believe modern power supplies can handle anything from around 90V to 250V without issue this is why they no longer have the 115V / 230V switch.

Back