• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

125mhz strap on x79

silicide

Gawd
Joined
Dec 27, 2009
Messages
605
Are there any guidelines for getting a chip to run at 125mhz strap? What are the relevant voltages? I just want to experiment with other settings on my OC, but the chip won't POST at all with straps other than 100 right now.

Any advice?
 
What settings are you using? I would maybe try a bit of voltage, and also watch the memory frequency as that will go up so you may need more volts to the IMC.
 
What settings are you using? I would maybe try a bit of voltage, and also watch the memory frequency as that will go up so you may need more volts to the IMC.

I literally just raised the strap from 100 to 125. Memory was set to the lowest multiplier, so it should have been well under spec. Which voltages should I adjust? Core? PLL? I just recently migrated to x79 from x58, so I don't know my way around the new BIOS too well yet. The board is an Asus P9X79, if that helps with anything.
 
You are going to probably need to do some experimentation. I would suggest reading the [H] review on the Rampage IV board, as the bios settings should be somewhat similar. They explain how they did their oc in that, as well as the other X79 reviews fairly well.
 
I was hoping the BCLK STRAP settings would be useful here. They weren’t. I couldn’t even get the system to POST using anything beyond 100MHz. Manually I could dial in 103MHz with varying degrees of failure.

That passage from the Rampage IV review seems to sum up my experience so far - my best stable bclk so far is 102. It seems that pure multiplier overclocking really is the way to go with these chips, then?
 
Back
Top