• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

120mm Fans

Kr1z

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 1, 2007
Messages
1,305
Is it worth getting the higher priced marketed fans for quietness? I will hook up the fans to a Scythe fan controller, and set it to 5v and 800RPM, so would it be a waste to buy the scythe or noctuas at a high premium? I'm looking for absolute silence, for reference I can't hear anything from the Antec Tri-Cools on their lowest settings and I would something just as quiet as those. Do the design of the fins make a difference in the airflow? Should I just get a pair of cheaper Slipstreams, or some Yate Loons instead of the $15+ fans?
 
If you do pay the $$ I would run with Noctua. I have them in my case and they are sweet. very quiet, very cool.

My two cents.
 
Scythe Sliptream and Scythe SFlex fans come highly rated from SilentPCReview.
 
I know they are already quiet, but I am concerned that if I buy some cheaper fans that they can run just as quiet and cool through a fan controller?
 
Well, keep in mind the higher the price the lower the ratio of value you get, you might get a fan that's better, but for the extra 10-15 bucks per fan you pay you might not be able to tell with anything other than a sound meter and a test room. If you are looking for "absolute silence" I don't care how much the fan cost or who makes it but anything 1000rpm or over you are going to be able to hear. Anything else ends up being wind noise and turbulence.

I have not used them (yet) but overall I think the vote goes to the Slipstream fans for being some of the best "bang for your buck". I am looking at my 5th set of fans and right now it's a draw between the 140mm Yate Loons and the Slipstreams. I have gone to everything from 4 (150+ cfm) Delta fans to all 1000rpm Cool Master fans, and still have not found something I am willing to stick with, the 800 or 500rpm Slipstreams are looking pretty nice though.

That's my input, but everyone's ear is different.
 
Noctua makes really awesome fans. They are silent, but still can push some air.
That being said, they are rather pricey. If you want pretty quiet, but dirty cheap take a look at yate loon
 
If you do pay the $$ I would run with Noctua. I have them in my case and they are sweet. very quiet, very cool.

My two cents.

Scythe Sliptream and Scythe SFlex fans come highly rated from SilentPCReview.

Noctua makes really awesome fans. Theay are silent, but still can push some air.
That being said, they are rather pricey. If you want pretty quiet, but dirty cheap take a look at yate loon

I have the money to spend on the 4 Noctuas and the fan controller. But I just wanted to read some opinions, I just felt it was throwing money away, but from reading some comments, I think I might take the Noctuas.

Are the Noctua NF-P12-1300 120mm Fan the best? Newegg has them for $30 and Jabtech for $20 I remember seeing more models, but I don't see any sites with anything other than the P12s.
http://www.jab-tech.com/Noctua-NF-P12-1300-120mm-Fan-pr-4046.html
 
Ive had good results with sharkoon silent eagle 2000 rpm's, got 5 in my rig (2 on a TRUE) 2 intake and 1 exhaust, all run from a fan controller, run most of the time at 1000 rpm (virtually silent) only ramp em up for benching.
 
Noctua is far from the best. If you want the best, than its EBM Papst.

They have many 120mm fans ranging from around 1200 to 11,000rpm for the 120mm series, so you have a wide selection.
http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?N=1634435+4294585068+4294585101+4294584998+4294584319&Keyword=papst&Ns=Noise%7c0&FS=True

All of their fans are precision engineered in Germany, and are made in either Germany or Hungary.
They can be a tad pricey, so spending $40-300 for a single fan is pretty common

If you are hooking them up to a fan controller, you better check the amperage the fans use. Some of EBM's s-force and maxxforce fans use more than 50 watts a piece, which would fry your fan controller.
Most fan controllers are good for up to 7-10 watts a fan.

K-TRON
 
I know they are already quiet, but I am concerned that if I buy some cheaper fans that they can run just as quiet and cool through a fan controller?

Generally speaking, Yate Loon 120mm fans are about 50% cheaper than Slipstreams. However, some "tick" when undervolted, so it's a big YMMV; FWIW, the ones I have have been superb and do not exhibit any extra noise at ~5V (and are barely audible).

Oh, and Noctuas are all marketing, the enthusiasts at SPCR prefer Slipstreams and SFlex. ;)
 
Anyone see the new gentle typhoons on newegg? Im kinda digging the color scheme :)
 
After reading up on the Scythe fans on SPCR, looks like the Slip streams are the best. Does it matter what version I get? 800,1200,1600 RPM version as I will adjust that later on with a fan controller? Nevermind seems like the 1,200 is the best. I actually had bought these a while back but didn't have a fan controller and it was really loud at its highest RPM. Thanks guys.
 
Holy shit! Last week I got the fan controller and had it hooked up to the stock Lian-Li 120mm fans, and I thought wow these are pretty good, lowered the RPM to 800-900, VERY silent, then today received 4 Sythe slipstream 1200 RPM versions, lowered them to 900 RPM, amazing even quieter! And what shocked me was the airflow on these slipstreams at such low rpm. I was in shock :O it almost pulled as much air as the 1600 RPM lian lis. And the temperatures dropped 10c from the cpu, 20 on the gpu, and 15 on the hdd. I was kinda drawed into the noctua comments, but seeing how well these perform, I won't be changing any fan till they die :]
 
Hey guys quick question,

For the Antec 1200, will any 120mm fan work for the side panel? I'm trying to keep my video card cooler than it is, but never bought/installed fans before. I like the Noctua NF-P12-1300 and can afford it, will it be good for this?

Also, where do I get the connector to hook up 3 fans into 1 knob so I can control them all with 1 signal?
 
Back
Top