120mm case fan brand question

Dark12

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all
People in Hotdeals are talking about this deal on some Corsair fans
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2618271&sku=C13-6703
So 35db and 63cfm

Then I saw this Silenx fan's stats that is similarly priced
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1148932&CatId=802
15db and 74cfm advertised

I currently use a couple of the Silenx fans and was going to replace them with the Corsairs. But now I am not so sure. I really don't have any issues with the Silenx fans, but summer is coming and I started mining so I figured it might be a good idea to replace fans with a better model.
The Silenx fans blow a lot of air no doubt, I dunno if they are 15db, though they are quiet.
Am I missing something?

it all depends on the bearings being used, and unfortunately many makers of fans use very loose db ratings that are not realistic, airflow makes noise as does the bearings, so even a "quiet fan" which is I believe rated 21b or less at 3ft away or some such thing, 2 fans having the same noise level might sound far different to the ear. Corsair fans from what I have heard are just overall very high quality, Silenx/coolermaster as examples tend to not rate their fans very well in the db department compared to say noctua, corsair, even cougars new fans which are far more realistic and can be taken into account even when behind a loose mesh which most fans noise level changes drastically.

The one that I will suggest myself would be cougar HDB fans(I got 2 of the 120mm all black but orange rubber corners for $6 per fan compared to others similar specs were $9+ per) they are a very nice noise level and blow quite a bit of air in a more specific direction(and apparently do well with turning their speed down via voltage or %) instead of just all over the place, even though their cfm ratings do not seem as high I know they are being "lenient" when it comes to their ratings vs some other fans which will not hit their ratings in the real world :)

So in this, I think the corsair fans are probably more real numbers vs the silenx seem almost impossible.

Also 7870 Myst are not 7870 even though they call them that they are 7870XT or 7930 however you want to look at it 1536 shaders vs a standard 7870 has 1280 not that it matters.

Thanks for the response. I will check out the cougar hdb
Yea that's why I bought the MYST. :-D

Well I think my Silenx fans are great and push a ton of air. I like corsair products and I am curious if anyone else here has used Silenx and can chime in.

You are missing allot, that being that most fan ratings are utter fluff and should not be trusted. What will these fans be used for? And what are you looking to spend each?

1 intake for front of case and 1 for exhaust on top of case.
$10 each seems like a good deal

Back