120hz testimonial...

Joined
Jul 10, 2011
Messages
717
I wasn't very sure about 120hz monitors, and after going from a 50" plasma, to three 23" U2312HM monitors in eyefinity, I finally got a 27" 120hz monitor (Samsung S27a750D).

I was pretty sure that 120hz was overrated. I sure as hell didn't want to downgrade to a TN panel. But, since I just set it up, I have to tell everyone - it makes the WORLD of difference.


Gaming on this monitor is just amazingly fast and smooth. I can't believe how responsive and seamless my games feel. Playing BF3 @ 90fps with my 7970 is phenomenal. Trine 2 was so beautiful. Skyrim got some artifacts but otherwise, it was so buttery smooth that it felt unreal compared to playing at 40 - 60fps on my other displays.


If you have the $500+ to shell out for a monitor, I highly recommend going 120hz. It really is amazing, and that's coming from someone who didn't believe it would be all it's cracked up to be.

Coming from 3 Dell U2312HM's in eyefinity, I can say that this is better. But, if you're shopping for a really high quality monitor in the $200 - $300 range, I think the U2312HM is one of the best deals you can get. Yes, it's smaller than a 27", but the picture quality on those monitors makes up for the loss in screen size by a lot.


Anyway, glad I have this 120hz monitor now. Going to be adding 2 more once I get the cash for 120hz eyefinity :)
 
While 120hz is something that is def GREAT, I still can't give up eyefinity for it, maybe one day I'll try 3 23" like Vega or 3 27" like bastard =p
 
I have three of these in portrait eyefinity and they are FANTASTIC, however, they still cannot compete with CRT.

I have a viewsonic G225f sitting next to them on my desk and it blows them away in terms of silkyness, motion clarity and response time. I just ordered a Sony FW900 and cannot wait to see how it stacks up.
...

Yes, setting emotion aside, I don't see how a 120hz LCD has anything to do with response time. It's still LCD. Hopefully OLED, or something similar, will become affordable soon.
 
I was pretty sure that 120hz was overrated. I sure as hell didn't want to downgrade to a TN panel. But, since I just set it up, I have to tell everyone - it makes the WORLD of difference.
[snip]
If you have the $500+ to shell out for a monitor, I highly recommend going 120hz. It really is amazing, and that's coming from someone who didn't believe it would be all it's cracked up to be.

thank you for this post. i'm considering switching from a 26" @ 60 hz to a 27" @ 120 hz, don't really like leaving 16:10 for 16:9, but i'll see how the 120 hz S27A750D turns out...


I have three of these in portrait eyefinity and they are FANTASTIC, however, they still cannot compete with CRT.

does the rock on the left look blurred because of motion, or why?


I want to get 120hz monitor but there isn't any 2560 x 1440 120hz monitors yet.

yep, that's my problem too with these 120 hz monitors, full HD isn't quite enough when stretched over 27".
 
Yes, setting emotion aside, I don't see how a 120hz LCD has anything to do with response time. It's still LCD. Hopefully OLED, or something similar, will become affordable soon.

120hz does not have anything to do with response but this monitor also has one of the lowest amounts of input lag, one review site rated it at less than 4ms.

I have to agree going from a S-PVA with great color to the 950D was amazing.
 
120hz does not have anything to do with response but this monitor also has one of the lowest amounts of input lag, one review site rated it at less than 4ms.

I have to agree going from a S-PVA with great color to the 950D was amazing.

If you want to talk about input lag, that I can understand. However the OP was saying:
"..amazingly fast and smooth. I can't believe how responsive and seamless my games feel" and "..it was so buttery smooth that it felt unreal compared to playing at 40 - 60fps on my other displays"

I don't see how that can be interpreted any other way than response time, which should not make any difference on 120hz. I have a 120hz display alongside a 60hz, and while there is a difference, I find it very subtle, almost impossible to detect. Granted my 60hz monitor has good response time for an LCD. The one thing I do appreciate with 120hz is the ability to go up to 120fps with vsync off without tearing.
 
It's kind of a combination of both 120hz and input lag, this monitor is great in both areas.
 
Back
Top