120hz HDTV as monitor

J87X

Limp Gawd
I'm trying to decide whether to get a vizio 32" 120hz 1080p hdtv and use it as a monitor, or get a true 120hz monitor. I understand that the tvs don't use real 120hz, but tricks (true motion feature) to make the refresh rate seem faster. Will 3D (for pc games, such as RE5) still work with a 120hz hdtv, or will it only work with a true 120hz monitor?

I have seen the true motion feature of the hdtvs on games and I like the effect, it seems like it would enhance the refresh rate of pc games even if my video card slows down at certain parts in the game. Would a true 120hz monitor keep a consistent frame rate, or would it depend on my video card rather than the monitor's processing power? Would my video card have to be powerful enough to output a consistent 120 fps for most games, or is that different than 120hz?

Any help will be much appreciated. :)

Besides the info in that link einer posted, it sounds like you need a true 120hz monitor OP.

LCD TV's with 120hz and PC games would lag in their 120hz mode. Not really sure why though but the devil is always in the details.

Personally i say you hold off on your Vizio purchase since A) it likely has high input lag to begin with B) the 120hz will not work with PC as intended C) You would be wasting time and effort in trying.

At this point in time, the only TV's worth purchasing as PC gaming monitors are a select few 60hz models, the panasonic L32S1 being one of them (low input lag). The panasonic L32G1 is their 120hz variant, it also has low input lag when in 60hz mode.

Currently no TV that is advertised as 120HZ will work; they all accept 60Hz max and insert dummy frames. This is typically bad for games because the TV needs to wait for both input frames before it can even begin processing them to get the dummy frame. It may make it look smoother, but it does add input lag.

A 120hz monitor will accept and display a 120Hz signal, that is the difference. Your display will never change the capabilities of your graphics card. If you get below 60 fps then a 120hz monitor won't make any difference, it simply permits you to display more than 60 fps if your card is powerful enough. The whole concept is that for 3D the computer has to render one frame for each eye, meaning one 3D frame requires two 2D frames. This means you need a powerful card and quick monitor because 120Hz is what is needed to display 60Hz in 3D.

Back