1200 Platinum Evga vs Super Flower

MorgothPl

2[H]4U
I'll be upgrading my PC, and according to the PSU online calcultaor with dual 290, 4790k and few other goodies, I'll be pushing it with my 1kw old Corsair. Also, as the PSU is few years old, I rather buy new one. Just in case... I won't be throwing lots of cash on components only to see them going "poof" :)

Now, I've narrowed two Platinum PSUs - 1,2 kw from Super Flower and Evga. As I understand, EVGA just brands the Super Flower units as their own. And, as the prices are very similar, what will be best choice?

... Its the same PSU. Which ever one has the better warranty/ is cheaper.

Given EVGA offers a longer warranty length I'd go with that, even if it was more expensive. 10 years over 5 is worth the extra price.

Also calculators overestimate your needs for power. Unless you planned on adding considerable voltage to the CPU and GPUs, and want a 3rd card on top of that, you don't need the 1,200W unit. The 1,000W P2 from EVGA would do just fine and still offer the same 10 year warranty.

Given EVGA offers a longer warranty length I'd go with that, even if it was more expensive. 10 years over 5 is worth the extra price.

Also calculators overestimate your needs for power. Unless you planned on adding considerable voltage to the CPU and GPUs, and want a 3rd card on top of that, you don't need the 1,200W unit. The 1,000W P2 from EVGA would do just fine and still offer the same 10 year warranty.

Thanks, I thought it was over the top, but with SSD, extra 3tb hdd, 5 fans and OCed 4790K, along with 290 xfire (which is supposed to be power hungry as a fresh politician) it would cross the 1k to like 1050...

Anyways, that will save me some money, so thanks for the advice.

Heavily overclocked 4790k on water: probably 150 watts, tops. Typically less.
Heavily overclocked 290 on water: 300 watts each, tops. Typically less, especially if overclocked on air.
SSD: sips power at 3-5 watts.
HDD: sips power at 5-10 watts.
Fans: sips power at 2-10 watts each.
Motherboard: 50 watts, max. Usually less.

You'll be fine with an 850 watt power supply if you wanted.

Read some reviews on them, iirc my SF leadex based EVGA g2 750 uses good japanese caps(Nippon Chemicon I believe) in some places where the leadex gold it's based off of uses cheaper caps. So even though it's based off of the same design the EVGA version is actually better.

I typically go by the amps when finding the PSU I need.

84W TDP CPU= 10.25 AMPS (overclocked I would say 15A or so max), Intel does say 13A continuous. That's not counting overclocking.

http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/products/desktop/board/215842.htm

HDD is 1 amps max, I bet 0.75A on the 12v like my 2TB.

2 290's = around 550W, but lets go with 600W max. 600W/12v= 50A MAX, 41A realistically maybe 42A (250W*2/12v). Even then I think the usualy wattage for this card gaming wise is ~ 230W give or take.

So you'll need around 65 amps or so on the 12v rail at a minimum for the higher estimation. Something you would never get to since I don't see the 290's pulling that much unless you bench. Realistically I say you need around 60A or less. So yeah, you could go with the EVGA 850W G2 since it offers around 70A on the 12v rail, extra cushion on the 12v rail may be needed though for heavy benching/overvolting the GPUs and CPU. The 850W does offer a 10 year warranty, only loss is it's Gold not Platinum.

Back