12 People Rescued From Facebook Elevator

HardOCP News

[H] News
When was the last time you were on an elevator with a dozen people? Now, imagine being stuck in that elevator for two hours with an alarm blaring the whole time until you were rescued by the Fire Department using the Jaws of Life. Just another day at Facebook. ;)

A dozen employees and guests stuck in an elevator for more than two hours at Facebook's headquarters Friday were rescued by firefighters using the Jaws of Life, according to the fire department. At 12:04 p.m., Menlo Park Fire Protection District firefighters were called to the west lobby of Building 20, which contains the main offices of Facebook's Frank Gehry-designed west campus, according to a news release. Firefighters were called in after a repair technician was unable to get the elevator doors open after trying for more than 90 minutes. It took firefighters 20 more minutes to free the people from the elevator. No one was injured in the incident.

Was trapped over 20 years ago in an elevator stuck between the 15th and 16th floor of a building for about an hour. Not a great experience. Glad everyone was safe here.

I imagine if I ever get stuck in an elevator I will start bashing the hell out of the ceiling till I get out. I have some slight claustrophobia and being stuck in a hot elevator is definitely a trigger.

Being stuck in an elevator for a few hours for me wouldn't be terrible if I were by myself or maybe one or two other people as long as they kept to themselves, but I would be claustrophobic as fuck with 11 other people.

I've been using the stairs more and more for exercise. Now I can tell myself its because I'm super paranoid about elevators.

In all fairness, this is just how I assume working for Facebook feels like.

This just in:

Elevator hacked in response to Oculus games being blocked from Vive. More details to follow...

beep beep beep, beep beep beep, beep beep......

"After they were rescued, the firefighters saw the cause of the problem, that no one had pushed a floor button because everyone was too busy on their phones looking at Facebook"

:D

I worked in luxury resorts for a long time. The last place I worked had gone through a 20+ million dollar renovation, but the elevators were still originally from when the building was built in the 70s. We had two elevators for 9 floors and 198 rooms with no service elevator. Needless to say they were always full of people and got stuck quite often. Thankfully, I only got trapped once and it was for an hour. I was in there by myself so I just sat down and after 30 minutes just decided to eat the food I was supposed to be taking to someone. Other employees and guest got stuck all the time. We had one woman from sales that we decided was cursed as she got stuck in there roughly once every 4-8 weeks.

Honestly, being stuck in an elevator can be nice depending on what you're doing and who you're with. If you are a guest and get stuck for two hours, yeah that sucks. If you're an employee who has to be there anyways, whatever you just got a break. In this instance, being stuck for two hours with 11 other people and having to listen to an alarm would suck.

Being stuck with 11 people using facebook and twitter is enough for court commitment for my sanity.

When I was working at a department store, at a saturday afternoon 15:50 i.e. 10 minutes before closing time (sunday was closed) I enter a freight elevator and notice that the floor level is unusually low.

The door closes behind me and I find out that the door is locked and the elevator refuses to move up or down. I ring the alarm uselessly until the store is already empty. Nobody hears it. It was in the early 90's so I didn't even have a cell phone. I was starting to think that I would be stuck to the elevator with no water for at least 40 hours. Luckily I had been watching movies where the hero manually forces the door mechanism open in this kind of situation. The elevator had hand rails on both sides so I stretched my legs across and climbed up and wouldn't you know it - the locking latch was right there for reach. I was pretty pessimistic, I thought that I would not be able to force the lock open with bare hands. Lucky stroke 2: the latch turned with amazing ease and I was able to open the door and escape.

Moral of the story: Sometimes watching movies can teach you something.

When I was working at a department store, at a saturday afternoon 15:50 i.e. 10 minutes before closing time (sunday was closed) I enter a freight elevator and notice that the floor level is unusually low.

The door closes behind me and I find out that the door is locked and the elevator refuses to move up or down. I ring the alarm uselessly until the store is already empty. Nobody hears it. It was in the early 90's so I didn't even have a cell phone. I was starting to think that I would be stuck to the elevator with no water for at least 40 hours. Luckily I had been watching movies where the hero manually forces the door mechanism open in this kind of situation. The elevator had hand rails on both sides so I stretched my legs across and climbed up and wouldn't you know it - the locking latch was right there for reach. I was pretty pessimistic, I thought that I would not be able to force the lock open with bare hands. Lucky stroke 2: the latch turned with amazing ease and I was able to open the door and escape.

Moral of the story: Sometimes watching movies can teach you something.

Ok, McGuyver

Person 1: *hears stomach gurgling from person 2*
Person 2: Damn, I should not have eaten that third round of Mexican food last night! *fart that rips open a hole in the time-space continuum*

:eek:

"After they were rescued, the firefighters saw the cause of the problem, that no one had pushed a floor button because everyone was too busy on their phones looking at Facebook"

:D

I wasn't looking at Facebook, but I stood in an elevator for a little bit just being absent minded. After about 30-60 seconds, I started thinking again. I didn't push any buttons. Get plenty of sleep and that doesn't happen! :)

Being stuck in an elevator for a few hours for me wouldn't be terrible if I were by myself or maybe one or two other people as long as they kept to themselves, but I would be claustrophobic as fuck with 11 other people.

You think any of them are going to hook up?

Be a good time to plug in your headphones and see if there is a noise canceling app.

Other employees and guest got stuck all the time. We had one woman from sales that we decided was cursed as she got stuck in there roughly once every 4-8 weeks.

Seriously, life might be telling you to take the stairs :)

Back