12% of Gamers Still Hear 'Explosions' Hours after Playing

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
A new study by Nottingham Trent University’s International Gaming Research Unit found that 12% of gamers suffered from what is called ‘game transfer phenomena’, an after effect of continuous and long term game play.

The gamers said that they continued to hear sound effects, music and characters’ voices from the game they were playing. Sounds included vehicles, lasers, bullets, beeping, explosions, screams and even breathing from the game.

"International Gaming Research Unit"???

Seriously.

WTF.

I'd hear the CS terrorist bomb sound for hours after gaming. Or would hear an alarm go off, then stop. I would mutter "Bomb Diffused" out of habit.

System Shock II, I still hear those evil little monkeys from time to time.

images_q_tbn_ANd9_Gc_Tntm7_S6om_OW4_Qfj_BTp_RTa8_R6_V9x_Wo.jpg

When I worked at a grocery store, I would still hear at home the register beep when an item was scanned. Oh god! The nightmares! AHHH!!

Made me think of that ST:TNG episode where some of the crew were getting abducted and all they could remember was being in a room full of clicking sounds. I was stuck in a room full of beeps.

While the research was about games exclusively, this phenomenon *must* occur outside of them. Register noise (which I second), the clicks/spindowns of broken hard drives, and my work phone's vibrating noise haunt me like PTSD.

When in a group for Everquest 2 there was a cleric spells that drove me up the wall I couldn't get it out of my head for hours it was that good.

i get the same thing like recognizing pieces of music as if voices/ game sounds in it

This is a true story. Video games do something to the brain. Every time I play TF2, not just hours, but all day I am constantly hearing, "Put a dispenser HERE!". I desperately look for one out of paranoia and sometimes do find a vending machine which calms me back down.

Gamer PTSD... great...

Honestly, this has never happened to me. Sure, I get the muffled ears feeling for hours, but I think that's just from the headset being set too loud lol. However, this just seems kind of silly to me.

This exists, but not in the sense the article alludes to.
I'm also apprehensive about some of the answers they received, and expect trolling in some form.

I've 'heard' things again from games (and from repetitive sounds in life) when they did not happen. These situations seemed to be more vividly detailed audio memories being remembered, rather than me actually hearing them. It sounds weird, but 'playing' something in your head doesn't overlap the reality version, so there is a distinction that can be made, or at least in my case. Otherwise the timing, tone, pitch, etc, is all there, and I can respond as I would normally.

As for visuals, I think that's more imagination running wild, a take on a situation which you develop naturally with a comfortable template, a gaming one for example..

12% is hardly worth mentioning and statistically not very significant.

So if 12% of car rides resulted in fatalities, would that hardly be worth mentioning or be "statistically not very significant"?

The authors of the study are claiming to have found a statistically significant result at 12% of the population in the test group. That is how they arrive at 12%. The 12% number itself, as reported in the [H] post and your comment, has absolutely nothing to do with statistical significance on its own.

I've been listening to music while I game for about 2 years now. Never hear anything afterwards that relates to the game or the music. I just go to bed or do something else.

Hah, this happened to me yesterday at work. Thought I heard something that sounded precisely like the LaGG-3's machine gun/cannon fire in War Thunder while talking to someone a few times. And that was the last plane I used prior to work that day.

It has happened on occasion with other games, too.

I get this with pretty much any long term sound exposure. If I am up on Mount Rainier, by Carbon River hanging out all day, on my drive home all I can hear is the running water the entire way home and well into laying in bed trying to fall asleep.

I would guess it is similar phenomenon that fills in blanks (auditory illusion) when you're listening to a new stereo system that has a very different equalizer curve, and eventually it sounds "Right" after a few hours, and you convince yourself it's better or worse.

I hear the Skype ringtone hours after finishing a Skype call despite there not actually being a call :\

I'd hear the CS terrorist bomb sound for hours after gaming. Or would hear an alarm go off, then stop. I would mutter "Bomb Diffused" out of habit.

This is a true story. Video games do something to the brain. Every time I play TF2, not just hours, but all day I am constantly hearing, "Put a dispenser HERE!". I desperately look for one out of paranoia and sometimes do find a vending machine which calms me back down.

Serious? That's kind of crazy.

I know I have dreamed about gaming and rerun situations in my head, but never had auditory hallucinations.

Serious? That's kind of crazy.

I know I have dreamed about gaming and rerun situations in my head, but never had auditory hallucinations.

LOL no not serious. It's a play on TF2 where every game has the non-stop "Medic" and "Need a Dispenser Here" spam.

Ahhh, that explains the ringing in my ears.
The bells, the bells !!!

i hear my phones low battery noise every once in awhile. like one day it was pretty bad i was sitting here with my headphones on and i would hear the DING DING even tho the phone was not low battery or near me lol.

This can occur no matter what you are doing for so many hours at a time. When I go home after working all night I *think hear call bells and IV pumps beeping sometimes.

I hear explosions at night after I play games... but it is just my neighbors.

Never experienced anything like that. I've spent whole weekends gaming without any sleep, and all I experienced was exhaustion.

I get this with pretty much any long term sound exposure. If I am up on Mount Rainier, by Carbon River hanging out all day, on my drive home all I can hear is the running water the entire way home and well into laying in bed trying to fall asleep.

I would guess it is similar phenomenon that fills in blanks (auditory illusion) when you're listening to a new stereo system that has a very different equalizer curve, and eventually it sounds "Right" after a few hours, and you convince yourself it's better or worse.

Yep the same thing happens to me but only if it's something I spent the entire day doing. I've experienced this after a day on an ocean beach, a whole day riding roller coasters at Cedar Point, etc. I've had it happen with games a couple times too, but only after very long gaming session (playing the same game the whole time).

I've only experienced this when I've been playing for an excessive amount of time. What's worse is the dreams I have afterward.

Meh, its how we learn. Its just associations recognized from remembering a recent stimuli while focused.

Math problems, tetris games, driving, debate, warfare, machine work, candy crush, biking, roller coasters, swimming, jogging, shooting. It all does the same thing.

You should actually worry when never happens to intense stimuli anymore. Your brain has stopped genuinely learning. :(

What about hearing my kids screaming when I'm sleeping, yet they are passed out.

Useless studies and more money down the drain....

I used to see Tetris blocks everywhere after playing.

I haven't played in years and sometimes, just sometimes...
I close my eyes and see blocks falling as Korobeiniki plays in the back of my head.
:eek:

I keep hearing my phone ringing when I drive. I have to turn down the stereo from time to time to check.

Meh, its how we learn. Its just associations recognized from remembering a recent stimuli while focused.

Math problems, tetris games, driving, debate, warfare, machine work, candy crush, biking, roller coasters, swimming, jogging, shooting. It all does the same thing.

You should actually worry when never happens to intense stimuli anymore. Your brain has stopped genuinely learning. :(

What he said.

I hate when a movie has the same or similar sound as my phone.
At first I think I imagine it ringing and go hunting, then it dawns on me, by which time the immersion is lost.
The better quality the hifi, the worse this seems to get.

Back