110v pancake fan or somesuch....needed

Reagent

Limp Gawd
I need to find a small fan like the ones we use in our machines to cool the cabinet my cases go into.

The cabinet is about 4'x4'x2' deep and is completely enclosed. I am getting a new rig in a couple days and the opty 165 will be OC'ed. That cabinet can get pretty warm so I wnt to go ahead and MOD it to help the temps.

So I need some small pancake fans around 120's or maybe 80's that I can mount on the sides to blow hot air out. I also need some small grills to cover them up...something like speaker covers. I can find 12v stuff no problem but really need something I can just wire up and plug into the powerstrip.

i believe there is an adapter you can buy that basically accepts a single 12v device on a molex connector, and converts it; it looks like a standard wall-wart and plugs into an AC outlet like anything else. i'll try to wrangle a link for ya, but does that actually interest you, or are you looking for something less... cobbled together?

update: sorry, this one's discontinued, but it'll give you some idea of what i'm talkin' about.

update II: hey, i found something. if you don't mind pulling some power off of your rig's PSU, you can try this! it's in stock, too.

this [H]ardforum... wheres your modding spirit... take a old psu and turn it into a 12v supply ;)

120v fans may be hard to find if your going for quietness... but there are quite a few out there... and there all pricy

frozencpu's a ripoff but this fan comes to mind. http://www.frozencpu.com/fan-88.html

did some searching.. small 120v fans are hard to come by... also keep in mind its easier to rheostat a 12v fan then a 120v... and less expensive http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category/220200/A.C._Fans.html

Thanks for the replies.

I went with your [H] sugestion and modded a power apdapter I had lying around.

It takes 120v down to 12v @ 1.2a...the one on the link above took it down to 12v @ 1000ma.

I wired it to the fan and it runs pretty well.

It may burn up but at least the heat will be from a fire and not my CPU's.

Back