110 Block in my new house... how to make it work for data?

dabomb

2[H]4U
I can't find any manuals on this product or even this "AMP" manufacturer that makes it. I just moved into my new home and I have the below panel installed in my basement. Two of the wallplates (rec room & kitchen) have only rj45 network ports, while the other wallplates have rj11 voice jacks. I live with roomates in the house and we all use cell phones and will not be connecting a landline.
We want to replace the rj11 jacks with rj45 and just use this thing to distribute the comcast cable connection. I tried first hooking a computer in the rec room to the walljack and another in the kitchen I didn't even get a link light on either computer trying both patch & xover cables. I then brought out my cable tester which just read "VOLTS!" meaning it cannot test until voltage is removed from the line. I'm thinking its coming from the line-in cable pictured in the second image. Should I just rip this out?

Also is the correct way to wire this to hook the linksys router to the WAN IN jack? Thanks for any help someone can provide.

img00007200908121401.jpg

img00008200908121402.jpg

almost looks like that's just for POTS

the voltage reading you're getting is probably from the phone service.

edit: FYI, looks like iAMP is actually made by Tyco Electronics http://www.ampnetconnect.com

Last edited:
rip out AMP unit. Trace lines, put ends on it, put switch in basement with router and cable modem and call it a day.

I agree...I see this kind of setup all the time. No reason it can't work for data, just remove the wiring from that module and put plugs on the end. Tyco Electronics owns AMP.

Back