10K SCSI or SATA 2?

Taradino

Limp Gawd
I've got 2, 36GB SCSI, but I've been wondering if my SATA 2 and or SATA 1 hdd's would be faster, the sata are 7200 RPM.

I would assume the SCSI has a much faster transfer rate (I've yet to do tests)...

From my understand "Faster" in the harddrive realm depends a lot on the drive access pattern. Also, without knowing any more details about your drives, but that you have 36GB SCSI drives and a SATA or SATA-2 drive, it will be quite difficult to make a judgement on performance.

A 750GB 7200.10 is most likely going to beat a 6+ year old 10K rpm SCSI drive at most tests aside from access time. A current generation 36GB 10K SCSI drive will likely beat a 1st generation 40GB SATA drive at every test.

so the short answer is: it depends.

36GB 10K units? That rules out the Fujitsu MAT and Maxtor Atlas 10K V, the 10K SCSI drives most likely to be competitive with a recent 7200RPM drive. MAP and 10K IV were fast for their day...but that was three years ago. Since then, 7200RPM drives have had gangbuster density increases, moved to 16MB buffers, fallen dramatically in price, and improved significantly on heat/noise. All of these improvements make them much more attractive than outdated SCSI units. A SCSI drive that old is unlikely to top the synthetic transfer performance of the latest 7200RPM drives, let alone match it in real desktop application performance.

If you need the absolute best seek performance possible under purlely random server like workloads, the SCSI drives are the way to go. For everything else, just get a decent 7200RPM drive (like the 320GB Seagates) and call it a day.

Back