10k rpm vs 7.2k rpm

Does it really make that much of a difference? I could see the 10k rpm doing better with installs, but does it make a difference otherwise?

i have reading that alot of the new high density 7200.10 drives are pretty fast and the read and writes are faster. but that is my question too.

I mean, with the seek times and the amount of cache on the 7200s, I don't see the point of making the jump to 10k unless I'm just missing something. I putting together a new system and don't want to overspend needlessly.

I went from a 74GB Raptor to a 250GB 7200rpm drive and I noticed the difference. I didn't like the install time of video games, the load of video games, even just pulling images off the drive, for instance. 1000+ pics or vids in a folder come up a lot slower than in a 10k drive. I had to go out and purchase the 150GB Raptor. I am spoiled with the drive. It's awesome.

I went from a 74GB Raptor to a 250GB 7200rpm drive and I noticed the difference. I didn't like the install time of video games, the load of video games, even just pulling images off the drive, for instance. 1000+ pics or vids in a folder come up a lot slower than in a 10k drive. I had to go out and purchase the 150GB Raptor. I am spoiled with the drive. It's awesome.

It kills me to leave my Raptors for single drive setups at work and friends computers for those very reasons. I deal with hundreds/thousands of images on a daily basis and I don't like waiting for image databases to load.

I had a similar experience to theamerican, i had a 80gb oem version from dell and sold the drive to get the 400gb monsters(they were the biggest at the time). I put them in a raid 0 thinking i would get similar performance since i was using a raid0 and man was I wrong I was mad as hell. So i went out and bought two 74gb raptors and put them in raid0 for my boot drive.
Bottom line is "ignorance is bliss"
If you get one yall youll notice a lil performance, and may have some buyers remorse. then sometime down the road youll get a different computer or get on your laptop youll realize just how awesome it is having a fast drive because computers that dont are just draggin ass.
Bottom line is its awesome and ill never get 7200 drives for os/boot ever. honestly next computer im getting 15k 300gb SAS drives

Back