10k drives vs SATA2 drives

Matthew Kane

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok, so I've got two drives lying around that I want to put to good use in a average gaming system. Storage size doesn't matter, just after performance.

Drive 1:
Western Digital WD740GD 10000RPM Sata

Drive 2:
Seagate ST3250820AS 7200RPM Sata II

Rest of Hardware, AM2+ board, 8GB DDR2 RAM, Phenom II 955BE, 4850 512MB

Which of these drives would most likely perform best in terms of usage just for couple installed games and the O/S (got another drive just for storage data)

Thanks

They are both pretty old drives. I would bet the 6 to 7 year old raptor will perform better than the 3 year old 250GB seagate drive. Although the raptor would be beyond its 5 year expected lifetime so make sure you have a backup plan.

True, but from HDTach comparison chart, the Raptor only is faster in terms of access time, the Seagates burst speed is higher by about 20%. I'm no genius in terms of hard drive specs, but I ain't going to chuck in a OCZ vertex in this old system haha.

The 250GB will be better. Better platter density, higher burst rate, and higher data transfer rate, and SATA-II is a perk for its extra features. The extra storage space will also be needed, especially for games and bigger apps.

The Raptor does have faster seek times, but it lacks in everything else.

The Raptors were good drives for their time, but they can't compare to modern 7200 or 5400RPM drives, and even a semi-modern drive will one-up it in most areas.

The 250GB will be better. Better platter density, higher burst rate, and higher data transfer rate, and SATA-II is a perk for its extra features. The extra storage space will also be needed, especially for games and bigger apps.

The Raptor does have faster seek times, but it lacks in everything else.

The Raptors were good drives for their time, but they can't compare to modern 7200 or 5400RPM drives, and even a semi-modern drive will one-up it in most areas.

Thanks, perfect answer I was looking for.

Back