10gig network

mroony

Limp Gawd
Gents -

I am asking for some input. We are installing a large, completely redundant (read as two separate networks), network with 10gig backbones. We need 2 core switches that will accept gbics from 12 edge switches (48 port 10/100/1000 PoE). All will be connected by single mode fiber.

A system just like this is running on a cruise ship on Cisco gear and has had issues with the switches. Another system just like this is running is even more places on HP gear with no issues. The only difference in this system is the need for 10gig capacity due to the needs.

I can answer more in depth questions in a PM. Looking for any input.

What are you looking for? Gear recommendations? Hard to do with just those requirements and no information on budget and anything else.

"Issues with the switches" isn't enough. Plenty of 10Gb Cisco switches out there in data centers running fine.

For smaller sizing you could do a pair of Nexus 5548UPs (or 5596UPs) and some Nexus 2Ks off that for 1Gb edge connections. Or go bigger with a Nexus 7009 w/ 1Gb modules and/or 2Ks. You could do some 6509s, but not usually cost effective for 10Gb.

Lots of options.

The issues fall with the audio equipment that will be running on this gear. Its a LARGE distributed audio system.

Gear recommendations yes, budget... well... thats not usually an issue.

What are you looking for? Gear recommendations? Hard to do with just those requirements and no information on budget and anything else.

"Issues with the switches" isn't enough. Plenty of 10Gb Cisco switches out there in data centers running fine.

For smaller sizing you could do a pair of Nexus 5548UPs (or 5596UPs) and some Nexus 2Ks off that for 1Gb edge connections. Or go bigger with a Nexus 7009 w/ 1Gb modules and/or 2Ks. You could do some 6509s, but not usually cost effective for 10Gb.

Lots of options.

I agree with this. We're running the Nexus 5548UPs without any issues.

You can probably buy gear from any number of vendors. Cisco, HP, Juniper, Extreme, Foundry, etc...

And probably it'll work just fine for typical use.

But when you have a specialized application, say audio, which needs QoS and low latency, or other specific settings, then you need actual testing.

NO amount of messageboards or vendor handouts will replace actual testing with evaluation gear.

You need to define your requirements, and the audio vendor should be able to help you with that, including providing feedback about what their other customers use. Then talk to the vendors, get some eval gear, and go to work.

I'm most familiar with HP gear. I'd get a couple A5820 for the core and however many A5120 for the edge. But like I said, you'd actually need to get that equipment and test it.

You can probably buy gear from any number of vendors. Cisco, HP, Juniper, Extreme, Foundry, etc...

But when you have a specialized application, say audio, which needs QoS and low latency, or other specific settings, then you need actual testing.

NO amount of messageboards or vendor handouts will replace actual testing with evaluation gear.

You need to define your requirements, and the audio vendor should be able to help you with that, including providing feedback about what their other customers use. Then talk to the vendors, get some eval gear, and go to work.

I'm most familiar with HP gear. I'd get a couple A5820 for the core and however many A5120 for the edge. But like I said, you'd actually need to get that equipment and test it.

+1

You hit the nail on the head, get with the audio vendor and test the solution. The network I manage is entirely Cisco and runs great (10Gb backbone as well). I'd lie if I said it was perfect, but it's much better than any other brand I've managed (HP and Foundry...I will say that HP isn't bad however). Let's just say that a show policy map command crashed our Nexus. Turns out it was a known bug that a firmware update fixed.
I've learned that if there is a specific need I have for a proposed solution then I have the vendors either demo it or help me test it. A former employer of mine ran a Cisco WLAN solution until they realized it didn't meet their needs. Meru came in with engineers and demonstrated their solution and it worked great. They just finished cutting over.
My point, I'm simply backing up with what others said. Get with the vendor and test the hell out of it before throwing money their way.

No kidding....big +1 sir.

Plenty of people like to bash Cisco just because they're Cisco, same way people bash Microsoft. But we've got multiple 6500 series switches running just fine, including 10gig fiber and copper.

OP will need to define requirements and test. All too often I see people post on message boards (not just this one, speaking in general) asking "what's the best for x" and then expect everyone to do the work for them so they can take it to their boss and get credit. I'm not saying that's what the OPs trying to do, but anyone who has been working in this area before knows what to spec out to meet the expectations of whatever task has to be performed.

Back