10Gbase-T custom home router

I got my hands on 4 Intel E520-T2 10Gbase-T NIC's... and want to build a router to support them

1.) Will the software (PFsense/Untangle/Smoovewall) have the router management and firewall built into one?
2.) Will it support the speed?
3.) Can it be built to support 10G, 1G, and a wireless AC card?

Please advise... I'm burning to get use out of them for my LAN, but would really prefer not to have to do CAT6a patch cabling.

(in case you're wondering about the overkill... I didn't want to have to go down to a single processor for Thunderbolt, but still wanted the speed. LOL... That being said, do not waste your breath lecturing me on overkill)

Thanks in advance.

Being the [H] if you want to put solid rocket boosters on your shopping cart for while you're at Walmart go right ahead!

You want a router to support this? This is for your internal private LAN yes? Why do you want router vs a switch? I am making the assumption you understand the difference between routing and switching. Should I be?

Yes, for internal LAN... I don't have a bigillion dollars... If I did, I wouldn't give it to Comcast. LOL :-D

The reasons that I want to build a router (if it's possible), are:
1.)I've been watching videos on custom built routers over the past week or so, and so is like to learn about port management, etc. etc. by building my own kit, to customize and adjust as I choose. A good educational process, as I try to make some good hardware.

2.) I'd like to try to have a 100/1000/10000-firewall-routing-solution that I can continue to learn on.

3.) Aside from the trade for a modem/phone module... I'd love to give Comcast back their crappy, garbage Arris gateway modem, when I give them back their equally crappy HD cable boxes, after I get the Ceton Infinitv6's.

I'd appreciate the guidance of anyone experienced with 10G custom routers.

Domo Arigato...

You are still going to need the modem.

What are you asking exactly? Are you wanting to put these four cards in the custom router?

How does 10gig help you to build a router with?

If you think you are going to be able to get a 10g internet connection, and you can, you are going to be paying about $9500-13000 a month for that connection just letting you know.

If you want to build a router with those cards i'd look at PFSense and free products like that.

Oh yeah... I was just wanting to dump my crappy "gateway/phone" combo, for a modem/phone combo.

I want to use one 10G card (2 ports) / one 1G card 4 ports/ and a wireless card. (If possible)
Is that possible?

If so...
I also need to know what other equipment/software that I will need.

Yes, for internal LAN... I don't have a bigillion dollars... If I did, I wouldn't give it to Comcast. LOL :-D

The reasons that I want to build a router (if it's possible), are:
1.)I've been watching videos on custom built routers over the past week or so, and so is like to learn about port management, etc. etc. by building my own kit, to customize and adjust as I choose. A good educational process, as I try to make some good hardware.

2.) I'd like to try to have a 100/1000/10000-firewall-routing-solution that I can continue to learn on.

3.) Aside from the trade for a modem/phone module... I'd love to give Comcast back their crappy, garbage Arris gateway modem, when I give them back their equally crappy HD cable boxes, after I get the Ceton Infinitv6's.

I'd appreciate the guidance of anyone experienced with 10G custom routers.

Domo Arigato...

1. You are not going to make a router with 80Gb of throughput with a PC. Get over it. You will get the same experience using 1Gb cards.

2. See item 1 above and multiply it by 10.

3. As has already been pointed out you will need a bridge regardless.

Based on your answers I have no reason to believe you understand the difference between a switch and a router. What you want is a 10gigE switch to which you will attach all your PCs and internal gear. You will also attach a firewall(what you call a router) to this switch. You will then attach a bridge (what you call a cable modem) to the the firewall.

Yeah the 10gb cards make absolutely no sense in a home router. It would be a complete waste when you could use them in your desktops/ servers.

I hear what you're saying...

But, here is where I am coming from... If I can use the two ports of the one of the 10G cards (1 of 4), and make it a part of my "router solution", then I won't have to spend over $5K for a 10G switch, and buy a firewall...

If it uses a PCI-e 2.0 x8 slot... Then what prevents it from working? (Please understand that if it won't work, then I believe you. But, like I said... I'm trying to learn, that is why I'm asking "why".)

Because unless you're subnet your internal network traffic will never flow through a router. Further, if you do subnet it is highly likely that the "router" will be unable to route at 10Gb speeds and greatly impact your performance.

Also I'm fairly certain you can get a 10Gb capable switch for less than 5K.

Very interesting and good to know....

As you can see... I'm trying very hard to utilize what I already have. With that said, I have 2 questions.
1.) What would be the disadvantages of just using CAT6a patch cables, vs worrying about switches?
2.) Could I please get a few makes & models, because I can't seem to find any under $5K

I appreciate your taking the time. :)

Very interesting and good to know....

As you can see... I'm trying very hard to utilize what I already have. With that said, I have 2 questions.
1.) What would be the disadvantages of just using CAT6a patch cables, vs worrying about switches?
2.) Could I please get a few makes & models, because I can't seem to find any under $5K

I appreciate your taking the time. :)

1. Crossover works fine.
2. We need to know how many ports you want, what form factor those ports are made for, i.e. Ethernet jacks/ SFP / etc...

I think he wants to use the "router" he wants to build as a router+switch by using the 10GbE cards.

This might be kinda possible. Not sure pfsense would work... IIRC all interfaces are a separate network.

With Windows you could probably bridge all the connections except for the WAN link. Setup RRAS, DHCP and DNS server.

Seriously? Donate the cards to people in need, i.e. me. You are just wasting them for toy stuff.

OP, sell the cards and go for CX4-based 10GbE instead. It's MUCH cheaper and is actually lower power. The downsides are that it's limited to somewhat short cables and running them through the wall is not nearly as easy. But you can get a 48-port 1Gbps + 4-port 10GbE-CX4 switch for around $200 on Ebay. Woven LB4 is one. Broadcomm sells some as well. I actually have a Woven LB4 to sell myself.

Otherwise yes you can do what you want. 2 10GbE cards in the server, 1 each in 2 clients. Bridge the 2 on the server with a wifi card (or use a hardware wifi access point). Onboard 1Gbps LAN for the modem's interface. Route from onboard to your bridge.

You can't use 3 clients with your 4 cards even though they're dual-port unless you want to daisy-chain one (you'd have to bridge the connection on at least 1 client in addition to your server).

P.S. I do believe that using hardware like this to learn is a valid scenario. But 10Gbase-T is so much more expensive than CX4.

@TCM: I buy toys to learn... If it costs me up to $2K to learn how to network at home, then I get to keep the equipment and keep learning, for less than the cost of a trade school.

... As far as donations, I'd recommend going to EBay, clicking the advanced search options, and then do a search with the "Donated Items" check box selected. LOL

Back